Peavey vs. Squire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crosh, Oct 28, 2000.

1. I was just wondering if anyone had any views on the differences between a low end Peavey (Milestone III) and something like a squirer P-Bass special (p/j pickups). The Peavey i can get for a lot cheaper, which makes me think it may be a pile of crap. Ayone had any experiences with these two.????

BTW.. I'm looking for a second bass, i'm not a begginer and i want something that will play better than my existing encore. Some thing 'GIGGABLE'. :)
  2. MarkM

Feb 25, 2000
    Well the low end Peavey is just that. But I have not found Peavey to be 'crap' at any level. The Squire line is the lower end for Fender.

I grew up playing on Fenders, but have had a Peavey for about the last 6 years and I doubt I will buy a Fender again.

If you aren't a beginner and want a second bass, then save up and get a good mid-range bass. Both Fender and Peavey have some great options.

The old Fury, which pre-dates the Milestone line, was American made and was a real workhorse. You were just limited to the standard pickups and a tone control. Nothing real exciting.
  3. I've never really played a Peavey that I considered to be truly bad.

I have however, played a few Squiers that were absolute crap. They do make plenty of decent basses though.

The Peavey Fury does indeed rule. :) ButI just got a fretless Stingray 5 that is downright awesome.. so my playing time on the Fury will be going down a bit. ;)
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

While Squiers and Peavey Milestones can both be decent basses, the Peaveys are more consistent.

Play a couple of each, decide which one you like better, and then play as many examples of the one you like and find the best one you can.

IMHO, this requires less work with the Peavey than the Squier, but the really good Squiers are great.

I used to turn my nose up at the Squier Affinity P Bass because it is only $149.00 and made in China, Indonesia or Singapore(yes, I've seen an example from each of these countries), but I've now played a few of them, and while they could use better pickups and electronics someday, they have(most of them anyway!) straight necks, pretty good action and feel just like a Fender.

The electronics on the Milestones are a little better IMHO, but keep in mind that any bass with prices as low as these, the pickups and electronics are going to be the weak link