1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Vypyr VIP 1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by M13, Nov 3, 2013.

1. M13

M13

Nov 1, 2013
    Earthlings:

Has anyone used/does anyone own the Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 or 2 electric/bass/acoustic amp?

This will *never* be used at a gig (I'm a drummer), so it'll only need to sound good in my living room.

It'll save me the cost of buying one amp for the strat and one for the bass, not to mention an effects pedal or two.

I haven't purchased an amp in ages, but I hopefully assume Peavey is still a trusted brand for most people.

Thanks in advance . . .

2. It works great for bass or guitar, but mine just started having a sympathetic buzzing when I play F#.
    I've had it about two years, and only just started having this problem. I put it on an acoustic dampening mat, but the problem persisted.

3. See if anyone in the Peavey forum can help you www.Peavey.com/forum

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. I meant to tear it apart this weekend, but w/o an objective in mind, I left it alone.
    Thanks for that link. Not sure why I didn't think of it. :cool:

5. I've gotten great advice from the folks over there. You can also call Peavey tech support direct, if it's a common issue, they can tell you what needs to be done to fix it.

For my guitar, I got a couple of older Transformer 112 amps. I exchanged posts with the amp designer on several occasions to work through a bunch of really cool features on the amp as well as a repair that required sending the head back to the factory for repair.

Peavey is very reasonable about pricing for factory parts and repairs.

6. Oh damn, now I'm wishing I had bought a Peavey micro-head instead of the Hughes & Kettner.

7. Here's a related thread:

Vypyr VIP 2 rattling - Peavey Forum

8. "I took the rear panel/baffle off, and I can see that the buzzing is coming from the metal chassis of the amplifier electronics."

DOH!
    I guess I will crack mine open, and have a look later today.

9. Other folks said the rattling is the speaker bracing or the 'fangs' on the front. Do a quick search for rattling or buzzing in the vypyr subform.

10. I found the problem. It's the back side, where the electronics chassis screws to the cabinet, right above the power jack.

I took the chassis completely out and wedged a piece of foam in between the cabinet & the metal. That only works if I don't tighten the screw down all the way in that corner.

I'm not really happy with the screw so loose, but it's better than that rattling.

11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what are the updated opinions on the V1 for bass?

12. I forgot to mention that I went on a quest to get a VIP2, thinking maybe that would solve the rattling problem.
    Drove all the way up to Maryland (3 hours) to a huge GC & tried their VIP2 & it was actually worse than my VIP1.

I'd brought along the VIP1 as a prospective trade, but instead I sold it, complete with the Sanpera I pedal/footswitch.

13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    you in particular seemed to really have wanted these amps to pay off with the goods, and minus the deal-killing cabinet buzz they could have been worth further pursuit. I want it just as a low volume TONE generator so rattling might not be a major issue when going for quality sound over lots of sound. did the bass settings show promise?

14. All the bass setting did was turn on a compressor & attenuate the output, I assume in an attempt to stop the sympathetic vibrations from happening.

Bass V likes this.
  15. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    LOL maybe I'll luck out, thanx. it's only $80. still waiting for the seller's response...

16. I think I paid $85 for mine, pre-owned. It was over $100 after shipping.
    The one good thing that came out of it was that I realized I don't care for effects.

I got the Sanpera, because everyone said it would really open it up, you've got the expression pedal for Wah, etc..
    TBH I don't like effects except for just a short gag, nothing really spoke to me.
    The looper was the only function on the Sanpera that I really used.

I've since had two different Wah pedals, thinking maybe a stand-alone effect would be better.
    It did get more play time than the Wah on the Vypyr, but I still got rid of it fast.

Second one I modded a lot, thinking I could make it just right, never did.

All the guitar players are going on & on about the new Boss Katana, but it reminds me too much of the Vypyr.

Bass V likes this.
  17. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I own a VIP-2/ Sanpera I controller that I took to gigs where I played guitar and it sounded great. It also works fine for bass practice. As with any modeling amp, you'll need to spend some time dialing in sounds because the presets are awful. The only problem I've had is that a couple of the plastic corners broke. I replaced them with metal ones and all is now well.

Bass V likes this.