1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Vypyr VIP2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AxxGrey, May 5, 2015.

1. AxxGrey

AxxGrey

Apr 23, 2015
    I use it quite often for practicing guitar but I haven't yet used it for bass practice. What are the best effects for various types of music on this amp?

2. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I love the flexibility of this amp. I run a compressor between ins and amp. For my MP Fender Jazz V I bypass inst/stomp; use Trace bass amp; bypass effects; pregain first bulb (7 o'clock); low next to last bulb (3 o'clock); mid 3rd to last bulb (2 o'clock); high same as mid; post gain last bulb (5 o'clock); master vol 2 for practice. Also works for Starcaster.

3. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I use either a Zoom B3 or MS60B but usually just comp and tuner.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Bump. Anyone else like the Vypyr for bass?

5. I absolutely love mine as well. I also play electric quite a bit, so this amp is great. Nice, lightweight, great for jams too. Heck, I can even plug my acoustic into the darned thing. Kind of wish it had a mic input, but hey, no amp can be perfect.

I'm more of a pedal guy so don't use a lot of the effects. The one I will use on occasion is tremolo, the setup on that function is pretty near-perfect.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  6. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks. Does it sound ok for bass?

7. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Any more????

8. Definitely. I often bring it to jams/practices as it's a lot lighter than my Hartke combo, and I can still dial it in to be heard in the mix without any issue. That being said, I'm not sure I'd use it for a gig as a bass amp. Electric, it would probably work. And anytime I'm jamming/auditioning for the first time, I always take the Hartke. It's bigger, beefier, not only in sound, but also in perception, and gets a lot more respect. But for practicing the Peavey is great.

9. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you!

10. Hi, I am not so keen. Mine just doesn't have the volume, tone, and resonance that my other practice amps do. I have used settings like walldaja but meh. Compressor settings and chorus are average and many of the other effects just dont work (I dreamed of sitar bass). It works way better for guitar. Some of the guitar amp models sound better than the peavey or tracey options. Any one else lacking, or better yet, fixing this?

11. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I wonder if it can take an extension speaker?

12. So out of frustration I tried my basses on the first electric guitar option, "Classic" amp model, +/- env filter, pre-amp 6.5, bass 7, mid 6, low 3.5, and post 7. Very nice with noiseless crisp and deep tone. Since this is digital there appears nothing to blow. It should also be noted that the back is open so always a wounded bass amp. Anyone see any problems with this?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  13. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I haven't tried it, I'm looking for advice to see if it would work as a band practice amp if the band doesn't go too crazy with volume...

14. I have a VIP 1 & I realize all they have done is attenuate your output so the speaker can handle the bass. It bugs me.

15. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you. So no go on bass for band practice? Is the amp light or heavy?

16. Yes, don't expect to breakthrough or solo though. I forgot to mention I kept the volumes low on my guitar model amp trial above.

17. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks!

18. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    I figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread so I don't get, "use the search function," messages. I'm a guitarist and bassist and this looks like just what I need for practices. I just wanted to see if there are more opinions about this amp. Like I said, it would be mostly for practices, but maybe would be used for acoustic gigs.

I guess my main question is about the bass tone. Does it suffer from the cardboard box sound that many practice amps in this price range suffer from, or does it actually sound like a bass amp should? I guess I just am concerned that one amp trying to do the job of three different amps might not be as good as one dedicated to a specific job.

I have a bigger rig for live work, but this amp would sure he handy and save space in my practice room, and, since I play the three instruments it handles, would be a great deal.

Thanks.

19. I stopped using my VIP1 for bass, because it developed a horrible rattling noise. It has a sympathetic vibration right where the cabinet meets the chassis in the top back.
    When I thought I had fixed it, with some washers & foam, it just came back on different notes.

It would be fine for quiet practice, but the noise is downright embarrassing if you were actually going to play bass for an audience on it.

The VIP2 might better built, but it's difficult to know.

unbridled likes this.
  20. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Liked it for upright in my studio. Took it to a quiet live gig and it stunk the house down. The drummer and I still talk about it as the worst bass amp ever.

Vypyr VIP 3, 100 watts.

Still practise electric bass and elec/acoustic guitar through it at home. Used it for guitar on stage with very good results.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    unbridled and Killed_by_Death like this.