Peavey: weird mids?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Hi. I read the recent Millenium Plus thread, hoping to hear about the TONE of the bass, but the thread veered off. . . .

I owned a G-bass for a while. It was, hands down, the most comfortable, ergonomically sound, and slappable bass I've ever owned, but I sold it because the midrange freq's on it irritated me. In my experience, that has been true for the Cirrus basses I've tried -- great playability, harsh midrange.

So I'd hope the Millenniums (Millennia?), with their sweepable mids, would solve this problem. Do they? Also, does anyone else get annoyed by these freq's on a Peavey?
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have heard that annoying frequency on so many of Peavey's products that I can't even look at them anymore with a straight face!
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Not me...

Maybe that sound just suits my songs though? I have a Peavey Milestone II that sounds great to me.

I am wondring though... If you liked the playability of the bass... You couldn't fix that midrange sound with your amps eq?
  4. I own a Peavey Cirrus 6, and have not noticed anything 'unusual' about the tone. I do have to fiddle with my amp settings to get the sound I like, but I do that with my other basses as well.
  5. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    I think you will find the Mill mids to be a bit softer. Honestly, I really like the Millennium and the Cirrus.

6. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have to say I quite like the G bass. There is something to what everyone says - boost the mids too much on the onboard EQ and I think it gets a little 'unnatural' sounding. (see Bass Player article for the same critique -, look at the 4-string shootout under 'Gear').

On the other hand, I don't mess with the mids much except to turn them down usually. I like that bass+treble boost 'grunt'.

When I played the Cirruses, I found them too be too mid-harsh. The Millenniums, much as I'd like to say something nice about them, struck me as good sounding but bland. Nicely built though.

So to conclude: yes, the mids can be annoying. But a little EQ goes a long way....

BTW, Bass Player reviewed the Millennium this month and gave it a glowing review. Have a look at their website to see if they put it on there.....

7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

The midrange problem that I've faced has to do more with Peavey's amps than their basses. I've never come across a Peavey amp that truly blew me away. They either sounded very muddy or had that really annoying frequency. Dialing it out wasn't easy to do, since I've found their eq's don't seem to address that frequency...and, if I was able to get rid of it, I lost all definition in my tone.

It may be possible to defeat that frequency, but why should I waste my time on it when there are many better sounding amps on the market?

Their basses have a lot of the same problems for me. But, part of my disdain for Peavey basses comes from my old T-40. Granted, the T-40 is long since gone and Peavey has built many, many new lines of basses since the early 1980's. But, those that I have tried have had finnicky necks and weird preamps built-in.

The Brian Bromberg bass is the last one that I tried, right after I bought my Modulus (which I no longer own). In fact, I tried it at a Brian Bromberg clinic. Admittedly, he sounded amazing!!! But, immediately afterwards, I went up on stage, picked up one of his basses and just didn't see what the big deal was! I don't know the real reason anymore, but I know Peavey is no longer building his bass.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I guess that I haven't noticed any problem with the mids on either of my Peaveys. In fact, I have gotten compliments on the tone of both of them (Cirrus 5 and Millenium Plus4).

By the way, I run my amp's eq flat and use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI and the bass' onboard eq's for changes in tone.