Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey with Nasty Cabinet Buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowBassDub, Sep 7, 2004.

1. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    Hey Everybody,
    I have an old (circa 1980's) Peavey 2x15 bass cab. This is a pre Black Widow one with original drivers. I acquired it fairly recently, as I had a friend with one (long time ago, different country), and it sounded pretty good (he had Black Widows).

Anyway, playing my 5 string through it, makes the cabinet make nasty buzzy farty vibrations. There is nothing loose in the cabinet, I've taken the grille off, in case that was it, I've had the drivers out and checked them, nothing wrong there.

Is it likely that the cabinet itself is buzzing? If so from what, old age and loose joints, or were these cabinets not made for that kind of bass to begin with. I've noticed a few people with these cabinets seem to have replaced the front panel, like this one attached.

Is this a common thing with these cabinets? Would this likely cure my problem?

For the record, cutting the 60Hz fader on my graphic makes it sound better, then again it's a 5 or 6 band graphic, the next frequency up is 650, so there's no saying quite how much of a frequency band is getting affected by this, and of course, cutting the 60 takes away my low end, which I'm rather fond of (hence the screen name).

I've pushed it with a variety of amps, but I can drive it moderately with my old Crate BFX50 (one driver only) or my H&H through some kind of preamp.

Answers on the back of a postcard, etc. etc.

2. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Bass cabinets take a huge amount of physical abuse both from playing and moving them. I have had a back panel in a combo amp become unglued and it vibrated underneath the tolex. It became evident where th buzzing was coming from and was uncovered and reglued (under warantee) and held up well. On the other hand, I have seen bass cabinets with their corners worn through and the plies of the plywood showing through. It probably is a loose or cracked component of the cabinet. Have someone else play the bas one note at a time til you find the offending sound. Once it makes the sound listen around the cabinet and try to put pressure on any area that seems to vibrate strangely. You might find where the problem is. Good luck.

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Check for loose screws along the edge of the cabinet also. I had an old Kustom 215 cab, & it had about 100 screws in the back. I had to check them every once in a while.

4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    The buzz maybe behind the speakers if you have not already checked that area as well. Good luck and by the way,
    Nice rig! :bassist:

5. I got a similar problem with an 18'' cabinet, was gonna make a topic but this is pretty much the same. I can't wait till my 18'' cab is buzz free.

6. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    Well I followed jsgmusic's advice, and it looks like the front panel has come loose from the divider in the middle of the cab that stops the two drivers interfering with each other.

I need to get some nice long woodscrews and try screwing the panel against this divider, it looks like they used a couple of wood staples in it originally, and possible over time they have loosened. Make it two nice solid partitions and see if the buzz goes away.