1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey Zodiac

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadMonk, Oct 25, 2006.

1. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    Has anyone touched one of these yet? Seems like the inexpensive ones in black, white, and sunburst are slowly becoming available from Peavey. (Not sure about the expensive model which is out of my $ range anyway.) I'm itching to try one - maybe buy one - but haven't found a shop that has any on the floor...only online.

2. I just found them online at Sweetwater. They're nice looking basses. I'd like to try one too.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've played several Chinese Zodiacs. Thye remind me of the old Foundations and Furies with their thin necks and low actions. They sound great and have solid fit and finish. They are worth the price $350 or so Street.

4. All I have/play are 5-string basses, and I needed a low-cost 4 string in my arsenal for a couple of reasons---learning slap among others. Anyway, I went to the Bass Place yesterday to buy an inexpensive 4-string, and wound up A/B'ing the following:

Fender MIM Jazz (On sale for $350 - light blue, white pickguard)
    Yamaha 414 (Black, no pickguard) - $400
    Peavey Zodiac BXP (Sunburst, black pickguard) $350

First instinct was to just snag the Yamaha and run...I own the 5-string version of this bass, and it's AMAZING! This 414 sounded the same..p/j pickups afford a wide range of tones from a P to a J and points in between. But I wanted to give the other two a chance, so ..

Jazz played nice, good tone, no dead spots I could find.

The Zodiac was rather surprising..a neck to die for, p/j pickups, great tone, light weight...and, the drool wiped off the surface and left no traces! :D

So...based on my test results, the 3 basses finished in this order:

1. Zodiac
    2. 414 (a close second)
    3. Jazz (a distant third)

What's up with the Jazz, you might ask? One very obvious issue...the build quality, compared to the other two, was simply not there. I really wanted to like this bass, since I have no basses that are Jazz only. But a quick look at the bridge gave a major clue...very cheap and very THIN metal bridge. The Zodiac and the 414 bridges are much more substantial, and both these basses had a pervasive feel of quality that just wasn't there with the Jazz.

Why the Zodiac over the 414? The decision point was the neck..thin, beautifully finished, and a great player. I wouldn't have cried if I "had" to choose the 414, but I'm very happy with the Zodiac. Hmmmm...who knows? I might even have the 4-string as my primary instrument in the future (kinda doubt it, though. The 5's are just too flexible).

Well, there ya have it...my odyssey to purchase an inexpensive 4-string bass. YMMV, of course, if you decide to check these three out.

Oh, yeah...a postscript. The CFO of the household, aka Mrs. A. Mariner, has decreed that this Zodiac is a Christmas present, and therefore is not available until 12/25/06. :meh: But hey, she's the one that offered to get it for me - I was going to trade one of my other basses to get a 4 string - but I'm keeping it and adding one more. No complaints! :)

Bass V likes this.
  5. Anyone else own a Zodiac? Perhaps you could post your impressions.

6. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Bedminster, New Jersey
    Thanks for posting your impressions, AM. When I saw what the Zodiac was up against, I thought it would come in at the third spot. What a nice PV surprise, huh?

Can't wait to hear more from others who had the chance to play the Zodiac!

7. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Nice post and good to hear the Peavey love.

Has anyone tried the Zodiac DE (the US made one)? Any differences that are noticeable between the DE and the BXP?

8. Hmmm...I've been curious about that myself, dangnewt. Also, I wonder if anyone knows how PV checks out the imports...for instance, Lakland really goes over their Korean built (Skyline) basses at their factory, and even puts in the electronics at the US factory. Anyone know how Peavey manages QC with their BXP instruments?

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I tried the Chinese made Zodiac two days ago, and was impressed, especially considering the price. I played it back to back with the new Fender Classic Aerodyne Precision with P/J pickups, and while I'd take the Fender, they were very close tone wise. And the Fender costs $700. I think the Peavey's neck feels great. I'd certainly recommend it for the price.

On both, however, I'm not sure how much the J pickup adds to the tone. I've wanted a P/J bass for awhile, assuming the J pickup would add useful definition and growl. But on these, with the P pickup on full, the J pickup seemed to alter the tone only when it was turned up all the way, when the output would drop and the tone would assume a "flatter" response, analogous to a regular J with both pickups on full. But I couldn't hear much difference between the J pickup at 75% and completely off. I was playing at modest volume, which migh explain this. I don't know, but at least it reduced my P/J GAS, so maybe (my wallet and) I should be thankful!

10. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    This has been my experience as well on my Peavey Millennium P/J. I generally use it either full P or full J. The other odd thing about the Millenium P/J is that the tone control doesn't seem to kick in until the last 1/4 turn. I hope the Zodiac has a more gradual response.

11. I had the EXACT opposite experience Dr. Cheese had with a Chinese Zodiac. It was awful. Thin tone, bad fretwork, really sticky finish on the back of the neck, lousy body weight... I just did not like it.

12. zodiacaquarius

zodiacaquarius Inactive

Apr 24, 2008
    Zodiac tattoos and tattoos of people star signs are so hot right now, they are everywhere. Come with us as we explore some of the different tattoo design options to incorporate your zodiac sign.Link removed by moderator

13. Yeah, you bet. Schmo.:scowl:

14. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    :D:D:D

How'd he get in here?!? :smug:

15. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I've got a DE and could not believe it was Peavey and only cost $530 new. Ballsey looks and tone! I did have to work on the intonation a bit, but it was not a big deal. The pickups will kick your ass.

16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    found this thread in the tb dustbin but there are so few regarding the Zodiac and I dig mine so much it might as well be resurrected to see if more fans of these great Asian jobs since '08 will surface. I fell for the nekid look and studs sans the guard, just had the vibe about this and won the lottery in the end but went thru 50 shades of heck in getting her, it was worth the stress. the PUs were swapped for EMG HZs which I knew 0 about but found them to be perfect for this bass, giving a nice bit of grit and the J sounding like I'd hope a vintage J would by emphasizing the woodiness this thing oozes. it's got a natural high voice but somehow has fab lows, even on the J soloed, and combined they provide a fine range of tones. the P is real nice yet not particularly Fender P-ish, it does it's own thing. Peavey typically makes some of the sweetest necks ever and this is one of their best, especially if you like them very narrow at the nut, I didn't know I would. overall, this is rather unique in tone and stands out from the crowd in many other ways, the maple board adds a lot of color beyond what's usually found with rosewood, but I'd like to get one of those too.
    upload_2019-8-14_16-46-1.png
    upload_2019-8-14_16-20-35.png
    it may be hard to find the bass here but one of the girls in Dea Matrona sports the rosewood
    upload_2019-8-14_16-50-44.png