Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Jun 7, 2001.

1. I am currently looking into buying a good amp but I don't have too much money so I was looking into used stuff. First of all, I was planning on starting out by buying a good head and probably a 1x15 cab, then maybe later on adding a 2x10 or a 4x10, does this sound like a good plan?
    The best priced heads that I have found so far are Hartke and Peavey, anyone have anyone experience with Hartke 4000 or 7000, and the Peavey Mark VIII or Mark III? If I may have to end up competing with a 100 watt Marshall guitar amp will the 4000 or the Mark III have enough power?
    With the cabs I found some peavey 1x15's and a couple 4x10's that were reasonably priced, does Peavey generally make good cabs? Lastly, (I have a lot of questions) for the canadians out there, with the exchange rate the way it is, would I be better off looking around in pawn shops or will eBay still give me a better deal?
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'd highly recommend the Peavey stuff! :D

Their cabinets are an excellent value, very well made and sound great. I can't really give you an opinion on the Mark series amps, but I will say that you should look for a used T-Max head. I've got one, have had it since '95 and been thrilled with it the whole time. Sounds great, reliable, flexible, and plenty loud. It'll run at 2 ohms too, not too many amps will do that (puts out 500 watts in that load).

I'd recommend STARTING with a 410 cab (such as a Peavey 410tvx or txf), as they're a better "all around" cabinet than a 15" (just my personal opinion). I'm using two 210txf's myself, and it's loud and fat sounding. If you get a 410 cab, be aware that MOST (but not all) of them are 8 ohm cabs, and the amp will not run as efficently (read: fewer watts) into a bigger load.

Also, the Peavey stuff is very reliable and rugged. Takes a beating and keeps on going. Have heard some less than positive stuff about the Hartke heads reliability, and I don't much care for the sound of their cabs.
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Gard's right, I'd start with the 4x10 cab first. Peavey stuff is pretty bullet-proof, but as the man said, use YOUR ears. Gard doesn't care for my Hartke cabs, as I don't care for his Peavey head, but I bet we both love our own sound! There was a Taylor-Made golf commercial a couple of years ago with the slogan "Find Your Game". To turn it around, try some different amps and "Find YOUR Sound! Good luck!
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Gotta go along with these guys, i have used peavey stuff for years without a hitch. It seems to be en vogue to slam Peavey in here sometimes, use your own judgement.

The 410 would be a better starting piont than the 115.

5. I own a Peavey Mk V111. It was my main head but I've since bought a Trace V Type preamp and a Crest poweramp.

I used the Peavey with a 115 BX Black Widow and a 410 TX, the old rear-ported model. The amp is loud, but the low frequencies lack clarity. Other band members said it was too "boomy". I had to cut lows at all but the largest venues. The graphic works alright though the high end which I think is around 10K seems to be outside the frequency range of my basses. It has little effect. The "DDT" compression built in comes on when the gains are anywhere past halfway. It tends to clip quite early. It has chorus built in which I thought was very poor, my Boss bass chorus was far superior. The compressor/limiter built in did nothing for me, in fact I never found a use for it in a live situation. It has a direct out XLR which worked fine. I never had any complaints from sound men about this.

It's very heavy with all the weight at one end where the massive transformer is.

The Mk V111 and the 4x10 make a great setup for upright bass. However the 410TX is inefficient. Getting heard over a loud rockabilly band could be a problem.

With electric the best results come from using both cabs. Using just the 15 I felt I lacked punch. The 4x10 alone gave a very scooped sound. Not what I wanted but may be good for others. I guess that's down to personal choice.

IMHO then, if you can get a used Mk V111 for a good price it'll do the job, but don't expect a top quality sound.

The Peavey cabs I've got have been fine. I'm based in the UK. Peavey assemble cabs on this side of the water in addition to USA. This makes them much cheaper than other brands over here. An Eden 4x10 would cost at least three times as much. Because of this they are widely used. In the six years I've had mine, gigging at least twice a week I've had no problems with the 1x15 at all. I blew the horn in the 4x10 quite soon after I got it. I then learned not to turn the horn attenuator past halfway. No problems since.

Curiously the cones in the 4x10 have changed color. They started off jet black and are now brown. I've no idea why..

Hope this helps..
  6. Hey thanks guys, the consensus seems to be that a 4x10 Peavey cab would be a good buy. As for the heads I'll have to try some out before I decide, anyone had any experiences with carvin heads, specifically the R600?
  7. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Get a peavey firebass 700 for the head.
    or if you cant afford that get the nitro bass
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yes, the Peavey 410's are a good buy. I'd recommend the txf or tvx over the older tx, mostly for the reasons specified by rockabillybass.

As for the Carvin R600 head, well....I've got a friend who's had to send his back to Carvin 3 times!!! I just can't recommend it. Matter of fact he gave up on it after the last time. Just bought himself an Eden WT400+.

I'll still highly recommend the Peavey T-Max, it's a MUCH better amp than any of the Mark series stuff, sadly it's out of production, so you'd have to go used.