Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 17, 2002.

1. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Hi all. I am considering buying a Peavey Mark 3, 4 or 6 (possiblky any combo of the two). Can anyone tell how they sound if they own one. I have read all good reviews. Also what is shelving? The Mark 3 has a shelving thing, I don't knwo what that is. Any help would be appriciated.
  2. I own a couple of the old Mark IVs and I dig 'em heavily....
  3. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    What kind of cabs are you using for those heads?
  4. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Had an earlier Mark III. Great amp. Took some twiddlin' to get the tone I wanted. If those amps had a problem, I'd say it was giving the user too many knobs...and they ALL work! Shelving refers to the high and low channel eq. The midrange is a quasi-parametric. If you could hurt one of these amps, you could destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet! I've made more money using Peavey gear than all others, combined. (Not a cause/effect relation, just a surprising fact).

5. I bought it with the 215BW cab. I also added the 210P for running the highs through. I also used to use the 215BW with a 410B. Sounds good with my Yamaha Attitude running through it...

I also own the Bassist and Max preamps and they sound pretty good, too....
  6. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Low Shelving means it affects everything from a certain frequency down.
    High Shelving means it affects everything from a certain frequency up.
    I think Peavey amps with shelving knobs affect everything outside of the graphic EQ. So if the lowest band in the EQ is 80Hz then the shelving Low knob will affect frequencies below 80Hz.
    You could check the Peavey manual for the exact specs. Most of the manuals are on the Peavey website even dating back to equipment from the 70s.

I have owned a Peavey Mark VI in the past that lasted years of playing and abuse (including falling off the second floor of a building). I have heard of a person backing a car into a Peavey head and only bending some knobs.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    PEAVEY PEAVEY PEAVEY! BUY BUY BUY! I'm the most die hard peavey supporter on this thing... or at least i like to think so...... MUST GET T MAX....

Peavey: Lasts forever, so does the tone, and the tone my dear boy, is pretty darn tootin good. i beat the living crap out of my cabs every chance i get... i mean,,,,,, because of heavy playing..... and they don't even flinch. Any Peavey is a good investment.
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Thanks guys/gals. I will definately make an investment in these amps.