Peavey's First Folded Horn.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Robert Cowart, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Robert Cowart

Robert Cowart

Jun 23, 2019
    Does anybody remember the folded horn that Peavey had around '71-'72? Any pictures or info? I know Peavey later had the "Thunderbox", but I mean the one before that. In '71, @13, I looked into the grill of a speaker cabinet expecting to see a couple speakers and maybe a port, but instead I saw wood panels, at all angles. What was it? That was the start of my fascination with folded horns. Next was "360", V4B, Sunn...etc. Anybody remember Peavey's first folded horn? I've waited 48 years to see one again. Please help.

2. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's probably the FH-1. The style is called a W Horn or W Bin. There were a lot of them in the 60s and 70s from the likes of JBL and EV and Ampeg too. One of the first was the Klipsch LaScala in 1963.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, IIRC the FH 1 and the bottom of the SP-1, they were quite efficient from about 60Hz on up which was beneficial at that point in evolutionary time. They had poor extension below 60Hz, but this could be improved somewhat by coupling multiple cabinets together.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

58-500 hz!:laugh:

PEAVEY FH 1 SPECIFICATIONS Pdf Download.

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    So Peavey used a 4 ohm driver in this 8ohm nominally rated cabinet which did cause some problems since there was a significant region of bandwidth in the 6 ohm range which could cause some amps to go into protective VI limiting (exclusive to linear (class AB/G/H) amps of the day) which sounds particularly nasty.

There were also many different versions of the FH1 and SP1 using different drivers, so my comments should be taken in context.

6. JTE

JTE Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The FH1 didn't have a grill cloth. They did have a box that was similar to the Acoustic 360 cabinet, a d to the EV Eliminator PA box. We got a used one into our store which had a Cerwin Vega driver. We swapped it for a BW for a buddy of mine. Sounded pretty good with my Music Man HD-130, and with a Marshall Major too :)

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i also remember the big peavey W bin, the FH-2. one of my first soundgigs was working for a guy who had a couple of these as subs.

stupid things had two 15s facing each other deep inside the box, which meant that as big and bulky as they were i couldn't stand them up vertically to get the tops any height over them! turns out in bars and such stray foosballs and bottle caps and other junk would find their way inside the bins, then if you stood them up tallways the detritus would bounce around on the lower 15, eventually puncturing it, at which point it would lose air loading and quickly blow, followed by the other 15 :mad:

rufus.K likes this.
  8. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    A lot of bands used the FH-2 for stage extension.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    They are pretty sturdy, make a good front edge of a stage.

rufus.K and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  10. Robert Cowart

Robert Cowart

Jun 23, 2019
    Thanks, but this is '71, way before that PA series. This was a bass guitar cab, 48"x24"x24", grill w/alum sides. Later in the mid-seventies they named it "Thunderbox"(pics attach), but I was hoping to see pictures or brochure from 1971. This cab did not have the wide 45 degree top and bottom plate as seen in these pics. I even asked Peavey a few years ago. They didn't help much. So far, nobody knows.

Attached Files:

Aqualung60, LHbassist and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Where do you think the FH and SP bottoms evolved from? This was a common format in pro audio of the day, so Peavey adopting it for bass guitar (like Sunn and Cerwin Vega) was a no brainer. It then evolved into their PA line. We mentioned those because they are FAR more common and players here would be familiar with them.

Peavey started with guitar and bass amps primarily, then expanded into PA. Their early PA speakers were simply their guitar speaker re-purposed.

nomaj and pcake like this.
  12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The cab you are asking about was Peaveys take on the Cerwin Vega B-48 that had the Cerwin Vega 18" driver . Very much like the Acousic 360- 371 cabs . It was named B-48 partly because it was 48 inches tall . Kustom had one and Fender also had a cab very much like it all with Cerwin Vega 18" speakers . I had a pair of the smaller 18" loaded Peavey cabs back then and a buddy of mine got a gig in Minneapolis with a fairly big name band and wanted to use my two smaller cabs with them and traded me his bigger Peavey cab , the one you are asking about for my two cabinets . I used that cab with my SVT in 1984 for a house gig I had for about 9 months . Great cab , better mids than you would think and would take anything my SVT would put out . Very good cabs for that time.

I would not trade my newer cabs for those for anything though , the newer cabs sound way more full range with better mids and highs and still have great low end . Back in the early 70's you either used cabs with JBL D 140s to get great full range sound or used cabs with Cerwin Vega 18s . The Cerwin Vega loaded cabs would kill on the low E but weren't very even on the mids . The JBL loaded cabs gave way more full range sound with mids and low end but you had to use quite a few to really keep up and the amps back then weren't real powerhouses . The Cerwin Vega loaded cabs were the best comprimise at the time for me , Made quite a bit of money with them back then .

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    pcake and rufus.K like this.
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i’ll take “gear nobody misses today” for 800 please alex

14. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    I had the rig in that ad, a then-current Bass head on top of that folded 18. It was one of those things that I thought I just had to have until I bought it and gigged with it for a while . . . . . . It was like all Peavey bass rigs back then: It had the tone of a box of corn flakes, but if it fell off a 6-story building, it would probably still work.

Did I say it was heavy ? No ? It was heavy.

A real sleeper in the Peavey PA bins in those days was the later SP2 sitting on top of a single 18 front-firing bass or PA cab (the same thing in two different parts of the price list . . . . . ). Made a killer keyboard rig for the Yamaha portable grands and synths, a high-end bass rig, or a great small to medium Elks Lodge PA, and if you biamped it, the smallest PA that would handle drums, if used sensibly.

I shudder to think how many mom and pop music store owners made a killing with Peavey in those days.

TheReceder likes this.
  15. LHbassist

LHbassist Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I played through a lot of folded horns back in the day. I still own a Cerwin-Vega B-36 MF, and a Sunn 2-15 SH. I personally prefer 36" 'J' boxes, over 48" 'W' boxes. I played a 36" Mitchell FH, that kicked butt.
    Those Peavey's were VERY large, deep cabs.. a bit deeper than the 360/ 301, and the CV-B-48 cabs, If I remember correctly. Maybe it was just perceived.. it might be the Traynor 1-18 FH a friend had that was really big. It seems like as I look around, they all were similar... The biggest, deepest one I remember, was the Marshall 1-18 Folded horn. And those sounded awful.
    The Ampeg V4B's (2-15's) seemed to be even larger. There is nothing quite like the low end response with horns, for bass. Even the best cabs I own now, do not have that 'whip-snap punch' as I used to call it, that a low 'E' has through one at volume. My most 'boutique' cabs will fart at power levels I routinely sent to my folded horns. My C-V B-36 MF, with an added tweeter, is perhaps my favorite stand alone cab of all time. Sadly, it's unusable in almost every musical situation nowadays. And, it's way too big to haul around- although when I was younger, it was nothing too big at all.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  16. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    I believe this was the first folded horn Peavey had. It was made late 60's, the cabs for the Peavey Dyna Bsaa amp. A 250 watt head and two matching cabs. The top was square, unlike some pictured above. the head and one cab had the same serial number, and the other cab had the next sequential number. Pictures 060.jpg

17. jazzbass_5

jazzbass_5

Sep 1, 2007
    NY, Medina
    I remember having 2 of these monsters but they had 2 long throw 12s in them.

LHbassist likes this.
  18. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    If memory serves me correctly - they made the tall 1x18 folded horn cab as shown in the pictures, and also a short 1x18 folded horn cabinet

19. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    I've always thought that the popularity of horns back then, when power was expensive, was because they would get very loud with a minimum of power - 200 solid-state watts or so.

20. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    It was also about the limitations of the drivers. The same driver in a horn could equal at least four of them in a direct radiating cab. Better drivers and cheaper watts made horns less popular, but in PA at least they've come back strong. Danley Sound Labs is one example, but most of the major players in touring PA are heavily into horns again.