Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavy Amp - How the hell do you set this thing up.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b3zsgirl, Jan 16, 2005.

1. b3zsgirl

b3zsgirl

Jun 16, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Okay, I have had this bassmaster forever, but I recently got a Peavy amp for free. I want to use it, but I have no idea how to set it up. I have never been much into amp setup more beyond treble, bass and mid, so I am not sure what is going to get me what. First think I don't know is what should I get if I hook up in Low Gain instead of High Gain? Since it has no volume, does it assume you are going to do that externally with a pedal or am I missing something.

Any advice on this is appreciated. The amp is practically never been used, and my bassman is wearing out and cutting out. We just lost our guitarist so no gig money is coming in, so I think it is worth playing with.

Suggestions?

2. This sounds like it's just a power amp, not a bass head. What model amp is it...CS-800 (or 400) by any chance?? No, wait, they had volume knobs...

But it still sounds like a dedicated (slave) power amp, you will need a preamp (or something that functions as a preamp) with volume controls and tone controls.

P.S. Amps don't "wear out" like a car. Some parts, like volume controls, can get worn from the movement of the internal wiper, but they can easily be cleaned and/or replaced. Some really old amps have capacitors that dry out, those are relatively easy to fix. Everything else lasts a long time if not abused. So what I'm saying, it may be a good idea to get your old amp looked at by a competent tech and brought back to life.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

Yeah....can you tell us what model of Peavey it is?

I agree with Bill, it sounds like you have a power amp.

-Mike

4. b3zsgirl

b3zsgirl

Jun 16, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Okay, that makes sense, though it is supposed to be for a bass. It is over at the rehersal space so I will have to get the model off of it this week so I can get more specific. I intend to get my bassman repaired, as it is a great vintage amp. I think it is the master volume knob that is cutting it out, but the places that I would trust to work on it have a backlog right now, and it still makes sense to have a backup.

Putting a pre-amp in front of it makes total sense. I have one I can try out on it, that I use when doing some recording. It should be fine for that.

Any suggestions on the high and low gain?

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    not till you tell us exacly what it is. maybe you mean hi z and low z inputs?

and while you're at it, tell us 'zactly what preamp you have too.

6. b3zsgirl

b3zsgirl

Jun 16, 2004
    Houston, TX
    The pre-amp is a fishman bass pro-EQ