1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

peavy bxp vs a squire vm jazz bass. which is easier to mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by th30nlyAket, Mar 10, 2013.

1. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    both on craigslist for 180. wanting to get one to start moding for fun. which would be the eaiser one?

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    First thing, don't buy either one at that price! I have an all black BXP I could do better than that shipped.

3. IMO, probably the Squier, because more parts that can be used with a Fender can be used with a Squier. Depending on the part, it may require some, little or no extra work to fit.

4. th30nlyAket

th30nlyAket

Sep 24, 2010
    main thing im thinking is pickups and maybe putting in a active 3 band eq. maybe bridge and drop d tuner later

5. Yeah, you should be able to find drop-in parts to fit the Squier. There is a thread dedicated to this, entitled "Perfect fit replacement parts for Squiers", or something similar.

6. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If I were going perform those mods, I'd choose different basses. You'll be putting more dough into either of those basses than they're worth. But if you're committed to do this, either bass will be fine. Standard parts will fit both. These basses do have greatly different design, though. So choose the one that feels better to you.