Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavy Cirrus 5 problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I am using a Peavey Cirrus 5 fretless. (walnut)
    My problem is that the batteries just dies very sudden.
    And it is very annoying. In the middle of a song in a concert it can start distort like hell.
    And my batteries dont seem to last long.

Anyone has got the same problem?
    Any tips?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You probably already know this but I have to ask :) Do you leave your bass plugged in a lot at home? The batteries drain when plugged in whether you are playing or not.

Dan

3. No, I do not. I even turn the volume down, and set all EQ knobs to middle. I dont know if that is neccesary.

How many hours (avarage) will the batteries last?

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Mine seem to last about 6-mos to a year in my Millennium. Are you using cheap quality batteries? I normally use Duracell or Energizers. Peavey has an online forum where some of their tech people answer questions. You could post there as well.

Dan

5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Good points all around:

1.) Never leave your bass plugged in except when you're playing it... except maybe during breaks at a gig.
    2.) Use only high quality alkalines. Or, if you use rechargeables, always start with a fresh charge.

My Cirrus batteries last anywhere from a few months to several months depending on how many times I gig with the bass.

Worst case scenario:
    If you have good battery habits and a fresh set of batteries won't even last one gig, you've got a short somewhere, and I'm surprised you're not having an audible sound problem... at least a noticeably weak signal from the bass to the amp. Does it seem like you have to crank the gain on your amp? You shouldn't. If so, the bass needs to be repaired. It might be easiest just to replace the entire preamp... you can get them as a replacement part from Peavey for like $60 I think. They're surprisingly simple, partially because the pickups themselves are active, and very easy to install even if you're a novice with a soldering iron. Otherwise, have your local repair person do it. Should be very cheap and quick to do.

In short, I've had 3 Cirrii to date, still have two of them, never had a battery problem.

Good luck!

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I had this problem on my Cirrus and then on my Modulus. My guitar tech found that the input jack had been overtightened and was shorting out. This meant that you only had as long as the battery lasted, as it was always "on." He fixed the jack and no problems from there on out.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I had this problem on a bass of mine (If forget which one :rollno: ). It ended up being the input jack, one of the prongs that makes contact with the end of the guitar cord was bent in so it was always making contact, essentially shorting out the battery. It should be an easy cheap fix for a tech.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    ooops, forgot that one. GOOD ONE! This is very true. In fact, this failure is based on the same principle that you can make an adapter out of a stereo plug with a voltmeter to check your battery voltage without taking it out of the bass. The bottom line is, the input jack is the on/off switch... make sure it's not "on" all the time. :)