Peavy Firebass 700 II, and 410TVX 4 Ohm

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by macool, Nov 11, 2002.

1. I have a Peavy TKO combo right now and would like to upgrade to a halfstack. I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with this setup and could recommend it or discourage it. I am also a little concerned that the cabinet won't handle the head because the head is rated at 700 watts and the cabnet is rated at 350 watts RMS continuous and 700 watts RMS program. I really don't know what this means but I thought that that could maybe be a problem. I also don't really know what Ohms are. What is the difference between 4 Ohms and 8 Ohms. I also noticed that as the Ohm number goes down, the Watts go up. Could someone please explain this to me. I don't mean to sound like an idiot but I can play the instrument, I just never had much experience with the technical/sound side of it.
  2. ohms are resistance. less resistance, more wattage. so if you connect the firebass to an 8 ohm cab, you'll get 225 watts (i think) of power out of it. if you connect it to a 4 ohm cab (or two 8 ohms cabs), you'll get 475 watts. i believe the cab you're talking about is 4 ohms, so don't worry about it. the firebass only goes up to 700 watts when it has a 2 ohm load.
  3. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I am currently playing through a Firebass and a 410TX Peavey bottom. I have to be honest, most of the time I do use a 115 BW bottom to go underneath my 410's, but I wouldn't hesitate using just the 410's. It really depends on the a small club you really don't need the full stack. I like the two bottoms because I can get the full 700 watts out of the head, and I like a lot of stage volume. You can pick up a 115 bottom pretty cheap (if you get a Peavey, make sure it has a Black Widow speaker). If I were you, I'd buy the half stack now and add the second bottom later....make sure they are both 4 ohm cabs. You'll like the sounds great and is extremely dependable. It's also extremely heavy, so start lifting those weights!
  4. So when would someone rather have 8 Ohms than 4 Ohms?
  5. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    When they want to use two cabs with an amplifier that is rated at 4 ohms minimum.Two 8 ohm cabs equal a 4 ohm load on the amplifier just as two 4 ohm cabs will allow your Firebass to run at 2 ohms.Good luck with your rig.
  6. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Firebass head is 275 watts @8 ohms. As it was mentioned before, you will be fine running into the 410 cab-you won't get 700 watts till you get down to a 2 ohm load.
    My understanding, is that Peavey amps that are rated for 2 ohms, will do it no problem.
    Yep, those Peavey's are heavy! But they sound oh so nice IMHO.
  7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Go for it. That will be a very nice rig.
  8. So two 4 Ohm cabs equal 2 Ohms of resistence? :confused:
  9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    In parallel, yes. In series it'll be 8 Ohms.

I'd get a 4 Ohm cab, while an 8 Ohm should still provide enough volume at 275w.