1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavy Fury 6 vs. Ibanez SR406 results

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allan grossman, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Well, I got the Fury 6 I accidentally purchased today, played it for a half hour and then listed it on eBay.

The thing had a fairly nice neck and a really quiet preamp but I now understand what a floppy B string is and I couldn't get nearly the bite out of it that I can get with my SR406 - so now there's a half-hour old Fury 6 on eBay :)

It's a nice bass for a beginner - but I didn't like the EQ or the B string on it - it also felt a little more cramped than my SR406 does - I think that's because the long top horn pushes the bass back a little farther than I prefer. I guess I'd rather have the 12th fret a little farther away from my body. It'd be a great starter six-string for a smaller person.

Fit and finish were okay but I think my SR406 is a little better match for me. The pewter finish on bridge and tuning keys might take a little getting used to, though.

I'm still looking for a Cirrus 6 and I have a set of Barts ordered for the SR406 (and will put a preamp in it if I need to) - but for someone who wants more thump than bite the Fury might be a good choice.

I'm almost finished with G. A. S. - all I need is a Cirrus 6, to finish modifying the SR406 and keep it as a backup, and I'm looking for a four-string bass for strictly speed and slap - and that one will probably be a Fender (heaven forbid). There are a couple of tasty four-strings on eBay for cheap, though ;)

cheers,

allan