Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavy Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjedi, Mar 6, 2002.

1. I went to a Pawn shop today and fourn a Peavy Fury and the guy said I could have it for 125. Is this a good deal? It definitely needs some new strings and possibly some pups. I will probably replace the pups regardless but not right away.

It is a 4 string with a maple fretboard, black body and white pickguard. Please advise quickly so that I can either buy it or try to get my deposit back.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

P.S. this will probably be more of a project bass than anything.:)

2. anyone have any input?

3. Sure the fury is a very nice P style bass. I believe probably one of the best values out there. But as for the one in your pawn shop? I don't know. Is the neck straight? Does the truss rod adjustment work? Are the frets in good shape? Is the fretboard solidly attached to the neck? Does this bass sound good? Does it have a good feel? Do you like it???

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If the bass meets the criteria that Rick described above, then $125 is a decent deal. Just check it closely and make sure that there are no neck problems, and when you do, make sure that it is tuned up to pitch. Some neck problems don't manifest if a bass is tuned down a whole step or more.

5. Fury's show up on ebay all the time. They usually go for between $125 and $175.

6. Well, thanks for the the replies Rick and Jeff, but I won't be getting the fury right now. I just got off the phone with the bank and I am having a bit of a disagreement with them.:mad:

Anyway thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

7. The Peavey Fury my parents bought me for my 12th birthday seemed okay when I first got it, but as time went on the neck became twisted and backbowed. The pickups are EXTREMELY weak.

However it played a million times better than my friend's crappy Samick, so...

I'd really reccomend a MIM P or J Fender for anybody starting out, depending on your taste. Get someone who knows bass guitars (or even just electric guitars in general) to go shopping with you, so you don't pick a crappy one :)

--jeff

8. I bought an early 90's Fury (P style) for $150 about 2 and a half years ago as my first bass. I'd say it was the best money I've ever spent. The tuners and bridge are a little cheap but I doubt I'll ever find another bass in the sub $300 range with a neck as nice as the Fury.

I thought the stock pickup sounded alright.. but with a Dimarzio Model PJ set in (my dad routed out the bridge pickup slot for me) the sound is quite good.