Peavy Fury

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibapunk, Dec 14, 2000.

1. ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    can you tell me about the peavy fury(?) that even right name?
  2. Hey,

I am probably one of the few on this board that likes Peavey basses. I have 2, both of which I use regularly. The Fury I have played but don't own. I think it's a great value. As with all Peaveys it's made in the USA. You won't find USA made basses in this price range from any other brand. The Fury is nice to look at, flame top. I played a 5 and the action was nice, tonally it's active so you can dial in your sound. Overall a great value for the money. In this price range I would look also at the Yamaha BBN5S and DeArmond Pilot Plus, at Musicians Friend they're both around $450

3. rcrimm

rcrimm Commercial User

Jun 20, 2000
    Meridian, MS USA
    Customer Service, Peavey Electronics
    The original Fury model was made in the USA. This was kind of a P Bass type with a nice chunky neck. Great if you like the P Bass kind of feel.

The current Fury models are imports. They are still great basses for the money, but they aren't really anything like the old model. The new Fury 5 and 6 strings have a quilt maple top and active electronics. I understand there will probably be a quilt top 4 string soon.
  4. There were actually 2 different Furies before the current Fury II.

The first one that was made for a while in the 80's is a real strange looking beast, though I have never played one.

I own and love an early 90's Fury. These have maple fingerboards, are built in the USA, and pretty much just look like a P bass. I actually find the neck to be much slimmer than a real P. It feels more like a J neck to me.

Currently Peavey makes the Fury II (4 string) and 5 and 6 string Furies that are similar to the Fury II (apparently the Fury II is going to be replaced soon though, according to Peavey's website).

I've never played one of the 5s or 6's.. but the 4 string Fury II is a decent bass. I prefer my 90's P styled Fury though.

(ibapunk.. goto and look at pictures of the Precision bass if you're not sure what I mean by pbass)
  5. I suppose I should talk about my Fury a bit. :)

Mine has a much faster neck than anything I've played that's even close to it in price (I paid $150 for it). It's tone isn't really so much like a real Pbass.. but similar sounds can be had. I'd say it probably sounds a bit like a Rickenbacker.. a bit more of a trebly, punchy sound.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

bassdr, Furys used to be USA made, but they are now made overseas(I'm not sure where, probably Korea) as are the Peavey Milestones.

They are good basses for the price, narrow Jazz type neck profile but tapering to decent spacing at the bridge, but the profile is more like a Fender than an Ibanez, so they do have a little beef to the neck.
  7. My friend has a black peavey milestone that he got for his birthday about a year ago. In about 4 months, both pots broke, and all of the wiring came undone. I don't know if he had screwed with it, but it was looking really bad. I took off the pickguard and the routing for the pups and the controls was one hole. This seemed odd to me because I have a Fernandez P-bass and they are two different holes, and the wires are drilled through the body. Anyway, I looked at the pots and they had broken, they would both spin, but they wouldnt stop and the electricity was not passing through them, so I replaced them. Than I looked at the wiring and three of the wires had fallen of due to what looked like bad sottering, so I rewired the whole thing with the wiring instructions that I got at and it works fine now.

The moral of my story: I hate peaveys and I will never buy one.
  8. lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Hello, I just wanna ask a Fury question.

As far as the "Precision-type Fury" basses go, there were slight changes made from the late 80's versions to the early 90's versions, yes? For instance, I notice that the headstock is shaped differently on some Furies on the web.....any other differences?
  9. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    The early series had a distintively Peavey looking pickup (kind of like the "ferrite" Foundation "jazz" pickups).

The later ones have the traditional split P looking pickup, and as a result look much more like a Precision overall.

I am sure there were small variations in both series over their production life.

I have one of the 90's version, with a rosewood board on a beautiful maple neck. It's a great bass for the money, particularly if you like a Jazz width neck.

You can find the manuals for both "major" versions here:

Pictures in the manuals make it easier to see what I am trying to describe.