1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavy furyII pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by elbeau, May 5, 2010.

1. elbeau

elbeau

Feb 5, 2009
    Detroit MI
    Hey all, New to the fourm. Wondering if anyone knows of a pup that would be a drop in for my fury II. It's my first bass and I'd hate to get rid of it but hate the active pup in it. I'd like to go with a passive and rewire the pots with a simple volume and tone. I've had problems with the pup cutting in and out on me, main reason I quit playing it. I've had it looked at a few times and have checked all the wiring, replaced the battery and still have problems with it cutting out. Passive pup is what I'm thinkin now. Thanks for any help.

2. elbeau

elbeau

Feb 5, 2009
    Detroit MI
    seroiusly... no help?

3. Pic? Size? PBass?

4. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    I don't know of any direct replacement for a VLF pup.

Have you considered that the preamp might be at fault?

5. It's probably a pre amp problem unless you opened the pick up. Check the wiring.

6. DARKSTAR!!!

7. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Looking at mine, it looks like a double Jazz pup might fit.

8. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    It's on my list...

Although, a T-40 pup would be cool too. And I already have one of those. The trim ring covers the old route really well.

9. elbeau

elbeau

Feb 5, 2009
    Detroit MI
    Any way to test the preamp? I have had it in and al the soder points/wires checked out. I also had a pot replaced. I'd like to have it as a back up and since it's my first bass and since I'm a sentimental lil monkey I'd hate to just "junk it". I've been playing passive p bass's since and almost considered routing it out for splits and throw a pick guard on it.

10. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Testing the preamp depends on what kind of equipment you have available. The simplest test is to do a visual inspection - look for anything that looks loose, cracked, broken, burnt, leaking, corroded, etc. If you have an ohmmeter, you can check for opens and shorts. Even though the solder joints might look good, re-flowing them won't hurt.

If that doesn't get it, you'll need more sophisticated equipment. I would use a signal generator to inject a signal to the op amp, and an o-scope to monitor the output.

All that is assuming it's the op amp at fault. The pups on these basses are powered - meaning that they have internal circuitry. Since the pups are epoxy potted, it's hard to tell what's inside them. Most likely a buffer/preamp.

I've got two Fury II's that I'm going to change the pups and preamps on. If you're interested, give me yell.