Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavy GAS - whoulda thunk it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacko spades, Jan 25, 2006.

1. jacko spades

jacko spades

Jan 9, 2006
    Central FL
    As a soprano 6 string bass player (ok ok I'm also guitarist) I have had a string of bad experiences with peavy. Their guitars sound like butt to me as do their amps - even the tube ones. Even the workmanship seemes to be pretty shoddy.

but...

I have lurked here for quite a while before breaking down and registering, and I've seen more than a conicidental handful of rave reviews on the cirrus and other usa made peavy basses. So it seems that on the bass or USA end they may put out a pretty decent product. Anyhow I came accross a Rudy Sarzo signature bass on ebay, and was woefully outbid, but I really liked the look of that bass - it just kinda called out to. So the question is: How does the Rudy Sarzo model compare to the cirrus and basses in a similar price range, and what are peavey basses like - neck, tone, P-ups, etc (the Sam-Ash in my area doesn't carry peavey basses - so I have yet to ever actually play one)

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My understanding has always been that their high end guitars, particularly the EVH models, are excellent.

GAS for a Peavey Bass? I can understand that.

The Sarzo model is really good.

3. most peavey basses, the cirrus included, have thin necks that are easy to play. the tone of the cirrus is absolutely incredible. it's clean an warm. the pickups are active, which is not to be confused with just having a preamp. they work like EMG's pickups.

the sarzo and the TL series of basses are the precursors to the cirrus line. i've played a TL-5 before (both a koa and a maple) and found it to be very similar, if not nearly as elegant in execution. i wouldn't mind a TL-5 or a cirrus 5 if i ever jump back into the 5 string land.

if you're trying to capture the cirrus vibe (but not necessarily the sound), you can save some money with a sarzo or a TL, but only the cirrus is the cirrus.

robb.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1, but I would add that the Sarzo is an awesome bass in its own right.

5. I know nothing about the Sarzo model, but I once owned a Bubinga Cirrus 4. It was a very nice bass. The Bubinga was beautiful. The neck was very smooth and easy to play. It had a very modern tone.

It had modern tone, but I had a hard time getting a more classic tone out of it. Plus, with the 35" scale, my regular SIT Rock Brights didn't quite fit. Ken Smith Rock Masters worked fine, though.

Overall, it's one of the basses I regret selling...

6. sure it is, and so is the TL. they're both great basses. in fact, i'll bet the TL is going for less than the T-40. i'll bet a TL-5 would be a great score for someone looking into a 5 as a backup.

robb.

7. d-basser

d-basser

Nov 20, 2005
    peavey basses are godly.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Never mind a baclkup, the TL-5 would be a great score for anyone looking for a main gigging 5 string with neck-thru, good electronics, good looks, fantastic playability, and great tone.

Same with the Sarzo. That bass is awesome. About the same vintage as my Palaedium, which is fantastic.

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I never pulled the triger on a Peavey, but have played them. They are nice basses. I think the Cirrus is a great playing and sounding bass.

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i'm partial to the foundation basses

11. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The only Peavey I've had contact with is in a very shoddy condition, probably going to see if my friend's willing to let me fix it up....buzzeness everywhere.

Granted, it probably just needs a new nut and just a bit o work...

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Peavey's are very playable. And the sound is just awesome! :cool: You can't go wrong with any of the newer Peavey's, except maybe the Grind series. Those must be played before one can be chosen.

13. I have had my Cirrus 6 string Claro-Walnut for over a year now and I love it. The neck is wide - thin and offers great action. I have my action really low, I can slide a toothpick under the strings and they almost touch.

It has it's own distinctive tone but it can produce a variety of others as well. TONE is subjective to the player. But it would suprise me if you were'nt impressed with it.

When I ordered my Cirrus I was surprised to find out that It would take 3-5 months before I would get it. Reason....they build them as they are ordered. Because it was a Peavey I thought they were mass produced and they would just ship one off the shelf, not so.
    For about $1400.00 and 4 months wait I got a great bass. I would put my Cirrus up against other high end basses for playability and feel.

There was a time when I thought about changing the pups/elecs out for Barts because I was not happy with the sound. As it turned out I began to experiment more with the strings I was using. I have since "found the sound" simply by changing strings.

Alot of players here have Cirrus basses, must be something good about them.

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    "Their guitars sound like butt to me as do their amps - even the tube ones."

As a bassist/guitarist, my experiences echo that - however, IMO their bass gear and PA equipment is VERY good... I've used both for many years, and they've never let me down - and people tell me I sound good, so there must be something to it...

- georgestrings

15. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    I have the millenium series. For a beginner bass i got more than I pay for. You'll rarely see string thru body for this price range. Even my instructor gave a good comment on the tuners. I can go days without tunning up and it stay relatively in tune. I'm glad I got the peavey over the squier.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey has made some very good basses over the years.

I own a T-40, a Foundation, and a Cirrus. All three would work as a main player for just about anybody, but the Cirrus is on a different level. If you want a modern sounding neck through bass with a fast neck, the Cirrus is impossible to beat for the price.

Pics to help your Peavey GAS.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. MagnaKen

MagnaKen

Jan 17, 2006
    Redland, Oregon
    I recently got back into playing bass after a 30 year layoff. I found a great Peavey JB Plus on Ebay for a little over $400 last month. Best investment I ever made. Big difference between what I have now and what a struggling college student could afford in the late 70's.

18. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Is it my imagination, or does your mid knob have a nipple?:D

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:eek::D

That is a concentric knob.

20. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003