1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavy Grind Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Jul 24, 2007.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I baught Peavy Grind NTB basses about 3 years ago and it was an ok bass but the quality and workmanship was not very good at all. I did hear that depending on where you get it, the quality of the basses could be different and I had experienced this from store to store after I got mine. But the other day I went to Guitar Center and saw some peavy Grind NTB basses and it was hard to believe this was the same bass, they must be doing something new with them because the bass pretty much looked the same (Natural finish ect) but the quality was MUCH better. The finish was better, it had a much better Bridge the over all workmanship was far beyond what it was on the other 2 I had. I saw a 4, 5 and 6 string ALL of good quality where as the ones I saw in the past (about 3 years ago) left something to be desired.
    Just wondering if anyone knew of any official changes made rgarding the Peavy Grind NTB bass? The're MUCH better now, I'm actuallt thinking about buying another one because I sold the ones I had.

2. FenderBinder

FenderBinder

Mar 24, 2007
    Atlanta
    hmm..that is strange.

3. deathofbalance

deathofbalance

Jul 11, 2006
    I don't know what they played like before, but I tried a 5-string one at Guitar Center about a week ago, and it played amazingly, so much so that I'm definitely sold once I actually have money.

4. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I will certainly agree...the quality control on the Grind NTB series has got to be the absolute low point for Peavey. I picked up one at GC two weeks ago as a 'laugher'...but it was really decent. Non of the wood drying issues of the earlier versions that yielded sharp frets and poor action. It, too, was made in China. In my experience, the Vietnamese versions were wildly variable in quality/playability. The Chinese factory seems to have been tweaking as they go. If my experience last week is any indication...they may have a new "sleeper" on their hands.

Kim

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    I was so impressed with the Grind 6er at Guitar Center that I'm selling my Carvin to fund it.

In addition to the feel and tone, I like how the headstocks are totally blank. The old headstocks (painted black) looked cheesy with the natural finishes.

edit: On second thought, unless a set of stainless strings help to brighten up the sound, I think it might be too dark for my purposes.

7. yeah, I just played one at GC. Nice quality, sounds nice and feels good. it could be you got one of the first that probably were not so good quality etc.

8. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    love mine, have had mine for a couple of years. sound great with the Nordstrand Fat Stacks, neck is phenominal on mine. i know this may sound strange, i bought a Cirrus about a year ago thinking it would be so much better than my Grind,,,,, wrong, ,,, the neck & the playability just wasn't there, it went bye-bye within a month/DSCF0185.JPG/DSCF0193.JPG

9. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    with a set of Fat Stacks/coil tap & a set of SS High Beams, you can get MANY tones from this bass, from the dark tones, to a very smooth modern tone, to a killer brite slap tone

10. SakulNosslaxe

SakulNosslaxe

Sep 28, 2015
    I'm getting a used peavy grind 6 in a few days. It is in my opinion a very beautiful instrument. The one that's I'm buying looks actually a lot better than the ones I have seen on the internet. I guess it has something to do with the year model.