1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavy Mark III bass XP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KratosNL, Mar 21, 2010.

1. KratosNL

KratosNL

Mar 16, 2010
    I started playing bass not too long ago but, now i'm in a band my 10 watt practice amp doesn't cut it anymore. So while looking around a bit i found a Peavey Mark III bass XP head and a 2x18 and 1x15 bass cab for 250 euro's. I think this is a great deal, but i wanted to ask it on here first.

2. KratosNL

KratosNL

Mar 16, 2010
    Thx for the link. Mixed critisism but for the price wit the cab included ( it's a black widow cab btw) i guess it's a good deal, i'd like to hear some more opinions about it to.

3. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    The amp is a great head for first timers and old timers alike a real workhorse, stable @ 2 ohms so you can run two 4 ohm cabs. :bassist:

As far as the cabs who made them? Are they home-made? 2x18?? That sounds pretty unusual. Did you mean 2x10 and 1x15? We need to know more about the cabs before we can say about the deal as good or too much...

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The old Mark III and Mark IV heads are great. They last forever and you can get good tone out of them. I had one in my garage that was built in 1980. It's still kicking at my old church and lived through several years of abuse.

I have no idea what kind of cabs Those are. If they are Peavey cabs I assume it's a decent deal. I'm not sure if Peavey made a 2 X 18 bass cab. If it's a Peavey cab you should be safe.

5. KratosNL

KratosNL

Mar 16, 2010
    Oh sorry, the cab is a 2x8 and 1x15 peavey black widow. They're official peavey, not home made.

6. The Peavey Mark series are renowned for being solid and bulletproof, but not for being exceptional. The older peavey multi-speaker cabs are renowned for similar reasons, and also for being heavy, heavy, heavy!

Sounds like a decent rig for the price though!
    Steve

7. KratosNL

KratosNL

Mar 16, 2010
    I think i'll go for it, it seems like a good step up from my practice amp and it is way better than what i can get for the same money at my local music store. (200 euro's for a crappy behringer 90 watt amp)

8. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    it sounds like it could be a 1516 cabinet which peavey made that had 2 8 inchers and the BW 15. i had one and i had a peavey mark 4 as well. bulletproof, a good deal and good enough sounding. take it.

9. Do it!

Steve

10. Once you get used to the voicing on old Peavey amps they sound pretty good. They tend to be very high-mids heavy. If you boost the bass and low mids, and mildly cut the high mids you can get a solid tone.

11. KratosNL

KratosNL

Mar 16, 2010
    Everyone thanks for the responses, i'm going to pick up the rig sometime this week.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020