Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavy Mark III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deezle4, Jul 15, 2005.

1. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I got this half stack from a work buddy a while back for really cheap. Anyone know much about them? I've heard they're pretty old school, but thats about all I know about it. Any info would be great.

2. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Almost indestructible.
    Sturdy, dependable, workhorse
    Nothing fancy, but powerful enough to do most clubs and parties.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very indescructible, warm sound, dependable, sound great. You using it with a 115 cab?

Other than that, they're great, I got my Mark VI with a 115 cab for $70.

4. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Actually it came with a Peavy 4x10 cab. Any ideas on why I'm getting considerable buzzing from it?

5. Does it have a loud hum or buzz even if nothing's plugged into it? If so, chances are it's a filter cap that needs changing. Relatively cheap to fix, a pair of filter caps would be $25 or less from Mouser, then the labor to replace them, maybe an hour or two tops.

6. could also be the tweeter in the 4x10 maybe?

7. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    There is very little noise at all when nothing is plugged in to it. The real noise comes when i plug in my bass.

8. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    could be some grounding issues with your bass.

9. Then it's most likely not the amp. Turn the treble down on the amp or the tweeter down if there's an attenuator on the cab, like IGAM said the tweeter accentuates noise.

If the buzz changes when you move around-gets louder or softer--your bass needs shielding or else you've got some very noisy electrical interference your bass is picking up (fluorescent lights, refrigerator, air conditioner, computer monitor...)

10. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    The noise isn't as bad with the treble down, but its still there. I don't know if this matter, but it cuts out big time when my fingers are touching the strings or the bridge. But it totally dissapears when I turn the tone know on my bass to the muffled side of things.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Definite grounding issue with the bass then. Time to rip it apart and see where it is :).

Ray

12. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Sweet. Thanks for all the info everyone!

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup, bass grounding issue, and great head!!!!

14. deezle4

deezle4

Mar 3, 2005
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well I thought I was done with this post but I'm back. With this grounding thing, would it be a case of the actual ground wire not touching the bridge metal or something? What am I looking for exactly?

15. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Can you reduce the buzz by turning the bass? If so, you're probably standing too close.
    Check your cords. Change them out if you can.
    All your gear have fresh batteries?
    If none of that works, Ebtech makes some good products designed to reduce ground incongruities.

16. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just open your bass and check all the ground wires. Usually they're the black ones, but that doesn't always hold true. Especially check the one that leads to the bridge, and the one that goes to the jack. Somewhere in there is a loose wire, and usually about 5 mins and 50 cents later you're golden.

-Ray