1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

peavy millinium 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cspaugh, Sep 14, 2008.

1. cspaugh

cspaugh

Sep 14, 2008
    Hello everyone, I am the new guy here and will go ahead abd thank you for any help. The tone of my bass is either really muddy or really crispy......any suggestions on a pickup swap for this bass. Thanks again.:bassist:

2. cspaugh

cspaugh

Sep 14, 2008
    lookers but no comments, whats up folks..:help:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Do you have an export Millennium or an American Millennium?

4. What kind of amp are you using? That might have more to do with the problem than the bass. But anyway, Seymour Duncan makes a nice selection of reasonably priced, high-quality J pickups.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The cost of swapping pickups is going to be about half the value of a used Peavey Mill 5 (~$500). IMO, you'd be better off selling it and buying something more to your liking. Have you A/B'd it with other amp rigs? FWIW, I've found that doing a midrange sweep on the onboard preamp will locate the offending frequency.

Riis

6. cspaugh

cspaugh

Sep 14, 2008
    Thank you for the replies. To clear up a few questions.... this was a freebie gift bass, it is an export (indonesia).....I am running a cs 400 amp and either of one preamps, yamaha or v-amp pro.... i have plugged into svt amp as well supplied by sound engineer in the studio and he had hard time getting descent sound out....Thanks again for the replies, and feel free to rip this bass a new one if needed.

7. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    I have the 4 string Millenium, and i love it. never had a prob getting a useable tone out of it, but most definately not what i want. im going to swap the stock pickups with EMG J's and possibly an EMG Preamp when i get the money..

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the clarification and, given the circumstances, I wouldn't put dime one into it. Sounds like you have a clunker (albeit a free clunker) and all you may end up with is a clunker with really nice pickups. Kind of like putting custom rims on a lawn tractor. Why don't you just hold onto it as a back-up, save your dough, and buy something a little nicer?

Riis