Peavy Quality Product?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'd just like to get some thoughts on the Peavy cirrus series basses. From what I've heard they are nice basses and they're awesome looking. I was thinking about maybe buying a Cirrus 5 sometime but I want to hear some opinions (probably play the bass too =)
  2. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    What is it with people not being able to spell on this board? Its PEAVEY and for those who don't know how to spell "Squire" it's SQUIER. Thank you... sorry anyways yes it is a quality product I like the bass. I like most Peavey basses and Peavey makes quality anthing IMO.
  3. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You know what, I actually did know it was peavEy. Just a stupid repetitive mistake on my part.
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    The Cirrus is a really good bass!
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree.

I've never owned a Cirrus but they are very highly regarded on this forum. I have owned two Peavey basses (Still own one) and they have both been excellent instruments.
  6. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Whoa, boy, I hope I don't misspell anything. The Cirrus bass is a quality instrument, well made with top quality components (with exception of tuners). The Millenium basses have IMO a better preamp and tuners, but are bolt-on. I think their $1400 +/- price tag new is commensurate with their quality, but I would buy one used. Oh, yes, they sound really great. Many on this board say the Cirrus has a "signature" sound. Wish spell check was available.:)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Peavey Cirrus is one of the best Basses on the's ont to pricey,it sounds good,and it's very versatile having many tonal variations,and it has the potential to become what the Fender P Bass was 20-30 years ago, a very decent 4 but offering the option of a very decent 5 and 6 as well.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    There's somethjing genuinely amusing about a spelling rant with misteaks;)

Or didn't you find "anthing" wrong when you proofread yours?

9. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Brad.. Your the Man:) :) ......;)
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
  11. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I could only really say that you probably won't be disappointed with a Cirrus. I have a Cirrus 6,and I must say,as mentioned before; very versatile,nice pre-amp and pickups. Tonal capabilities are pretty amazing and comfy to handle IMO. :D -Luke
  12. Peavey has been trying to obtain an image as a better builder and IMO began becoming one in the mid-90's with the intro of the Axcelerator. I am not a fan of 35" scale, but a Cirrus did melt in my hands when tried in the showroom. Not a case of GAS yet, as my present gigs do fine with 4 strings, but definitely something to be aware of. Peavey's Grind bass line looks interesting, as the string spacing is adjustable on the 5, just like the Cirrus. Grinds come in Fender-like solid colors, so there's no exotic wood to drive up the price, and the scale is a comfy 34" I guess the scale length debate has already been had many times over in this forum, so I'll let it rest.
  13. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    IMO, all of peavey products have a lot of bang for your buck. I like cirruses, but its tone isn't really for me. I wouldn't mind having one, though. :)
  14. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Oh man... sorry I should've proof read posting about spelling but surely you guys know what I'm talking about? It's all the time and it gets to me when people who own Squier basses even still spell it Squier... I hope there weren't any spelling mistakes in that post. ;)
  15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I don't mind that. It seems a little picky to me to be bothered by it. We understand what they are talking about, and (at lease to me) isn't anymore difficult to read than if it is spelled correctly. The only problem i see with the mispelling of Squier or Peavey is the doing a search.
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    The Cirrus is a really nice bass, especially at that price point.
  17. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I'd like to add that Peavey's mid-priced stuff is very good quality too. I wish they still made the Axcelerator bass, that thing looks pretty awesome. Oh well, I guess I'll have to a Warmoth that looks like it, or surf ebay (they pop up occasionally). Also I like peavey amps. There's nothing more scary than going to a gig where the amp is provided, but for some reason I always feel relieved when I see a Peavey combo sitting on stage or in the pit. Peavey is way underrated and any gear snobs who won't even try it are missing out.
  18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Only the Korean made versions are 34" scale. The American made Grind is a 35" scale. I like this one......

but this wouldn't be bad either! :D

19. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Not to nitpick, but you have them spelled the same. If you're going to rant and bitch, do it right. :D

BTW, I believe the correct grammer would be "still even". ;)
  20. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001

I swear I spelt it Squire... unless some moderator is secretly editing my posts... no I'm just stupid. Sorry everyone.

Oh and "grammer" is spelt Grammar! :D