1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavy series 500 dynabass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sickpuppy, Feb 12, 2013.

1. sickpuppy

sickpuppy

Feb 12, 2013
    I have a Peavey Series 500 Dynabass head with an 18" cab (inverted speaker) . A drummer I used to play with left it with me. Said he had no use for it, and no room. He did mumble something about it being built in 1965. Does anyone know ANYTHING about this beast. It has decent sound (a very "warm" very "big" sound), a switch to go from bass to clear (2 separate amps?) for keyboard I suppose. I'm afraid to play it much, seems like almost an antique. I tried to post a couple of pictures, but the forum apparently won't allow me to do so.

2. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    I have one of the Series 500 amps. It came with 2 18"s vertical W style folded horns. This has been a matched set from the factory, as the amp and one of the speakers have the same serial number, and the other cab has the next sequential serial number. The amp has an angled aluminum faceplate, with "DYNABASS" across the front. it has two channels, marked BASS and CLEAR. Each channel has an input marked HI and LO. The amp states an output of 250w @ 2ohms. The origional drivers were Vega 18", rated at 3ohms each. I purchased the rig in '80, the music store owner stated it was used by a bassist in a country band. Apparently the bassist was overwhelmed by the size and power of the rig. Good luck getting any info from Peavey, I've written them several times, with no response at all....PS, there's pics of the cabs in "Big Cabs Strike Back"......PSPS..They can say what they want, their 10s and 12s may go lower, or louder in a small scale way, nothing short of a festival PA stack has as big sound as this this rig.....What is an inverted speaker set up like?

3. sickpuppy

sickpuppy

Feb 12, 2013
    I had a brief brain fart. By inverted, I was referring to a folded horn (backwards speaker). My big question with this rig is what I should do with it. Is it like having a 57 T-bird under a car cover in a garage? Or is it more like having a 73 Duster in the back yard with grass growing over it?
    Since it is so old, I'm afraid to play on it too much. I have a decent bass rig to use at gigs (a newer Kustom head on top of an SWR Goliath 3 410). I am hoping that someone will have a better perspective.

4. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Play it hard and enjoy it. It has no value to collectors. As long as you don't abuse it, it will most likely work fine for years.

Donate it to a kid in a garage band.

5. sickpuppy

sickpuppy

Feb 12, 2013
    Thanks, I suspected that might be the case. I know a young bass/guitar player who would probably use it without abusing it.

6. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    The 2 PV W horns aren't much use since I normally use a PV 115 with a Behringer 300w head, OR, my brand new fEarful 15sub pair with IPR1600 amp. With little collector interest, I wouldn't be able to make enough to replace them if I sold them. As far as caring for them, they stay in the house, as the low end of my stereo. I have refurbished them, with new 18"s. They require reglueing the joints every few years.
    I did use them at a outdoor venue that did not have walls, and up on a flatbed 18 wheeler trailer. I knew I'd be on my own as far as bass projection went. They did a fine job, according to the folks in the next county. And as previously noted by another TB'er; "The PA guy said he already had subs for the PA, but he thanked me for the help anyway". He couldn't believe it when I hooked them up and started rocking....If you wanted to donate it, I'd give it a good going over, so some kid doesn't fry it on it's first use....PS, just for grins, check the serial numbers of the amp and speaker, and if they match, or are real close, I'd like to know...

7. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Aug 3, 2012
    Tacoma, WA
    This, or sell it on Craigslist. If you're not going to use it, you might as well sell it and make a few bucks.