Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavy speaker problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottlefight, Apr 23, 2003.

1. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    I have a peavy cab I don't know what model exacty but it had a 15 in, to 8in and a horn. It plays fine at alow volumes When i turn it up the amp farts on centain notes mainly the E on the 7th fret on the A string. Do you think it is wiring or a blown speaker.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    BottleFight,

Yepper... sounds like you have atleast one damaged speaker.

If you can get the speaker cover off, then give them a preliminary check. There may be some obvious tears in the paper of the speaker. If not, place your fingers around the center of the cone and push lightly on the speaker. Any scraping noise would indicate a problem... going one step futher, you could disconnect one speaker at time until the 'farting' noise is gone. (that would be the faulty speaker)

michael
    BTW: don't know where you're residing, but the best place around the SoCal area for speaker repair is Orange County Speaker in Garden Grove, CA. http://www.speakerrepair.com

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Good post Ziggy.

If you do all that and it turns out the speaker is fine, there could be something in your amp settings that's causing it. Try reducing the gain control (turn up the master volume to compensate)..

If it's still distorting, you could be upshing the amp too hard.......

4. bottlefight

bottlefight

Apr 22, 2003
    MI
    I will have to make some time to try disconnecting them one at a time this weekend. It didnt show any of the other problems. I have ran it with two different heads. A peavy mega bass and a hartke 3500. The sound was distorded with the mega bass. The hartke did not sound as bad once i turned the eq off. Thanks alot for the advice.