Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavy T-40 help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I found a mint condition Peavey T-40 in a pawn shop yesterday. It was a natural finished (ash?) body. It still had the plastic film over the pickgaurd with the labels for what all the knobs did. It had two huge humbucking pickups that were kind of a cross between a starfire pickup and a fender telebass humbucker. It was really heavy. It was priced at 299 negotioable.

What can anyone tell me about this bass? What is it worth? What basses is it similar to in sound? How long ago was it discontinued at peavy? Is it a better instrument than my MIM-p-bass? etc, etc. I want to know everything I can about this bass.

I really liked the look and feel, but there was no bass amp in the store to play it through. I have heard T40's mentioned here and there on this site.
    I await your collective wisedom.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The worst thing about T-40s is the weight. They are one of the heaviest basses ever made.

They are well made, and have some of the most versatile passive electronics ever designed. The pickups are humbuckers, but as you turn the tone control up, past 6 or 7, they become single coils. They also have a phase switch.

What do they sound like? Well, they sound like a T-40.;) Seriously, in single coil mode, they are capable of some J bass type tones, and in humbucking the neck pickup gets pretty close to a P. But they have a bunch more tones lurking in those electronics. Some good, some not so good.

They regularly go for around $200-$250 on Ebay. Some people have gotten stupid deals on them. Aluminumcatfish got one at a pawn shop for $90.

If the bass is in mint condition, and comes with a hardshell case(they all came with one new), $299 is not a bad deal. But if you could talk them down some more, that would be even sweeter.:)

3. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Everything embellisher said is true, especially the weight. A reissue is definitely in order, though.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Anyone know how long ago they stopped making these basses?

5. They were made from 1978 to 1988

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I had one in the early 80's. I didn't suck, although I could never make it through four sets with one, at my age. I liked it MUCH better than my '65 P-bass, which it replaced after the P was stolen. God works in wonderful ways. The T-40 actually has a pretty broad range of usable tones. I agree that $299 isn't a bad price if it's cherry. I think they sold for just a little more than that when new. Negotiate a bit, and you'll get a good deal.

7. Seems a bit much, but if it's really NOS basically then it makes sense.

I dig mine. Will probably become a collector's item someday?

8. jbucklin

jbucklin

Oct 24, 2001
    I just bought a '79 T-40 that's in near-mint condition off of Ebay. I weighed it and it's 11.5 lbs.! I'm taking it to my gig tonight along with my "new" '95 Peavey Foundation (Christmas present) that was an NOS at a shop here in town.

I own two USA Laklands, an MIA Fender P, and a Hofner and I gotta say I'm very pleased with these two Peaveys. I got them both for $250 each. I was initially looking for a "beater" bass but got so much more with these.

The T-40 is an unbelievably nice bass for the money. It's a beast of an axe with a thunderous sound. Do it!

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    T-40's were and are nice basses. Lots of people got caught up in the name and dismissed them offhand. Big mistake. Lots of cool features, lots of cool sounds, rock solid and sometimes as heavy, too.

I don't think that price for a really clean one is out of line.

10. Did someone say Peavey T-40?? I had one of them things way back in 1979. Here's a picture of me playing it..Yeah, that thing was crazy heavy. I called it "Big Red" I think it weighed around 1000 lbs,,, it sounded good , played real nice and all, but I wasn't too big on all those knobs and switches. I had it for about 6 months then I traded it in on a sweet 72 Fender Jazz.....$299. seems a bit high. good luck....[​IMG]

11. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    A friend of mine has a late 70's T-40. In the somewhat near future, Darrin Huff will complete his new bass, and I'm sure he would sell the T-40 to anyone who is interested. The condition isn't that great--a good cleaning up would make a world of difference, and it would be cool to have for any collector. E-mail me at:

lesclaypool333@hotmail.com

...if anyone is interested.

--Matthew

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I read at BGRA that it is hard to get a t40 setup with low action because of high pickups cannot be lowered. Is this true?