1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavy TNT 115 combo. Any comments appreciated

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirtyclinic, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic

Nov 15, 2011
    I am borrowing this amp right now and it sounds great to me but I am a complete beginner at the bass guitar. I don't have any other amp to compare it to. I can buy the amp for $170. Is that pretty good? I someday would like to do small gigs for 100 people or so, I assume this would have the power for that. Any comments about the amp are helpful. Thanks.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd offer $150 just because, it is worth the extra $20 though. Solid, reliable performer....heavy. Tone is useable, sounds better in a band mix than by itself. Loud enough to hang with a drummer, play a small bar.

If you want loud enough, reliable and cheap, TNT is the way to go. Tell him to knock off the $20 so you can buy some wheels to screw on the bottom, you'll get sick of carrying it all the time.

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm not sure how many power variations there have been with this model over the years, but I've heard a few TNTs that could run way louder and cleaner than any 1x15 combo has a right to. Every one of those had a Black Widow driver, by the way.

4. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Well if it's built anything like my peavey basic 112, it is a rock, mine took a couple trips down cement stairs twice, and it still works like the day l got it.

5. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

Nov 3, 2011
    PA
    Don't like the amp. No tweeter, and a bit boomy. It was the church bass amp i used for years before they bought a Boogie Buster.

6. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    I've got a TNT130 with a BW, and it is certainly a loud combo. It sits right next to the drum kit in our Jam Room and with the Punch and Bright boosts it can cut through surprisingly well. Mine was a little stale sounding, but I put an MXR M80 DI between my bass and the TNT to add some color, and it's great. It's a tank, and the kids have used for small bar gigs and stuff like that. I paid right around $175 for it a few years back.
    Good luck.

7. funkateer86

funkateer86

Aug 21, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I played an old TNT from the 80's for a while. First amp I ever used, actually. Loud as hell for what it is. I always thought the tone was pretty good, can definatley get boomy if you're not careful. Very punchy Black Widow speaker. I never hate on Peavey, never sounds amazing but they always sound pretty good and they're tanks. HEAVY

8. Thummel

Thummel Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2007
    West Texas
    none
    I had one in the late 70's early 80's---good starter amp and ok for small gigs----$150 is the number

9. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic

Nov 15, 2011
    Thanks for the comments. He is firm at $170 but he is the only owner and it is in great cosmetic shape. One thing I notice about it is that when you turn the master Volume or the gain knob it has a static sound. It sounds perfect while playing it. It just has that static while adjusting the volume. Is that at all normal?

10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Detoxit cleaner. Fuzzys go away.

These are great amps that rarely die. Peavey makes up in longevity where they may lack in tone. Some think Peavey amps sound sterile. Maybe a little, but they are loud amps that last. I'd buy it.

11. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Comment: Heavy, nice, loud, cheap.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Well, the really, really old ones where 100 watts with an old square magnet speaker from before the Black Widow days....those are a fartbox. The good ones everybody remembers from back then were 130 watts and had a Black Widow, which is a pretty dang high spl speaker, like 99, even 100 in the mids in some spots, that's why they're loud. A common speaker would need twice that amp power to play equally as loud.

De-Oxit pot cleaner. Spray it in the pots and twist them back and forth a few times. It's normal for being that age, just a little dust and grime in there from over the years, that's all. If it's the 130 watt version with a Black Widow, it's worth it.

13. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I have the non BW 130 watt version (The TNT130)

It sounds great. I paid $200 for it in about 1996.

Worrying about a price $20 either way on an amp that you're going to use for a long time isn't worth the bother.

I think the tone of these cuts well in a band context, but doesn't bring the boys to the yard when it's noodling on its own in a shop. I prefer the former to the latter.

08_ddl_lgl.

14. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I agree with the prior posters. The TNT 115 is a solid beginner amp, and $170 is a fair price. As others have noted, it can be a bit boomy, so don't be afraid to cut some of the bass frequencies on the EQ and bump some of the midrange frequencies.

15. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic

Nov 15, 2011
    Hmmm. How do you get to the pots to spray in the cleaner?

16. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The knobs should pull straight off. You might want to try prying a little bit, but you could scuff the amp if you don't put a small piece of cardboard or something plastic like a library card behind it.

17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I hear ya, but for someone looking for the biggest bang for buck for their 1st serious rock band, the TNT is perfect.

18. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have one i keep @ my friends house. We go back to 1st grade together (1967).We played in bands together all through the 1980s, the amp is the house bass amp for anyone who happens to be in the house, it sounds alright and just keeps on going. Im into the fender amp sound these days but i do own several peaveys and if nothing else, they are indestructible imho!

19. It's a lot more work, but if you partially disassemble the amp and take the head section out, then the Deoxit can be sprayed directly into openings in the body of each pot. I take the little straw that comes with the Deoxit and using a little bit of heat,bend the end of the straw into a J-shape. Lets me get into the openings on the pots better.

20. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Good little combo. 170 is not a bad price