1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal adaptor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by El Bajo, Apr 27, 2009.

1. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Hi all

I never really used FX before but I'm in a newish band and as we right more I'm finding that I need my overdrive on more and more songs. Anyway my question is I'm sick of buying batteries and wondered can I use any old power adaptor? Also, I dont know much about electrices but If I bought an additional pedal (I'm thinking a chorus) would I need an adaptor thats more than 9v as I'm assuming I can get a an adaptor cable to feed both pedals into it?

Thanks for your help

Mr. Clueless about FX

2. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
  3. Here's a short version:

Most (not all!!) pedals require 9vdc center negative power. Center negative looks like this:

powerplug-negative.

Very likely what you need is a power supply that has this symbol and the words 9vdc on it. If you find one of those, you can daisy chain it with a daisy chain cable to as many 9vdc center negative pedals as you want.

Each pedal draws a certain amount of current. Most draw around 20mA (some draw a little less, some draw a LOT more). Many power supplies provide 200mA of current. If all of your pedals amp draw (amp draw means the amount of current taken) totals more than the power supply is capable of, then some of the pedals will not work and you will need to get a power supply with a higher current rating or an additional power supply.

Not all pedals run off 9vdc center negative. Some 9Vdc pedals don't daisy chain with others. Electro Harmonix is famous for screwing with voltages you need for their pedals. You should let us know what pedals you're dealing with if you're not sure about the voltage requirement.

If all of your pedals are 9vdc center negative a Visual Sound one spot should do you well. They provide 1700 mA which is plenty to start.

4. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    As you're in the UK, try www.effectpowersupplies.com. They've got single power supplies you can use now or multi-way if you're planning for the future (sounds like having babies! :p). Very reliable and always had great service from them.

5. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    Thanks all. Much appreciated. And that UK website is exactly what I was looking for