Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal advice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LarryO, May 31, 2004.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I want a bass pedal to add just a little bit of "dirt", and warmth. Just a little growl..........should I go with a bass overdrive? What pedals do you guys recomend? Also do any of you use chorus pedal with your bass? I have a few guitar pedal and I just haven't gotten around to playing with them on my bass rig....just looking for ideas

2. BWhite220

BWhite220

Sep 4, 2003
    NW Arkansas
    I have the Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flange pedal. It's acutually for guitar...not bass. BUT, it's the best chorus that I have found and that is not too expensive. I don't use the Flange part.
    IMO, chorus pedals sound best if you are playing like a bass intro thats kind of a heavy rock. Or if you are just messing around on the bass coming up with melodies. The chorus does a good job filling in gaps.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hi,
    a good bass overdrive would do what you say, there are plenty of threads on this in the archives. "What's the best overdrive" pedal is one of the most popular thread titles. For what it's worth, I think the EBS multidrive and fulltone bassdrive are the best bass overdrive pedals out there.
    also, if you look at the sticky thread at the top of the forum there's a distortion pedals review megathread.
    I use chorus as well, but usually pretty sparingly. I use some with overdrive for a peter hook type sound. My favorite is the Analogman clone chorus pedal, great chorus.

4. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    if you're using a tube preamp or all tube amp, you can just set your preamp level to just start breaking up with normal picking and when you want the growl, dig in with the picking. That's my method of getting growl out of my Ampeg.