1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal board and patch cables

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevteop, Feb 25, 2008.

1. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I need a bigger pedal board (approx. 70cm x 35cm) but at those sorts of sizes they get expensive. I found this (the "Showman" one) that would fit the bill perfectly, but £100 for a little plywood box?!? I'm sorry, I'm from Yorkshire, that's not going to happen.

I've got a few big pedals so my layout isn't very flexible and I really need to stick to those sort of proportions, but I'm having issues finding anything other than that Diago case that will fit my requirements. Anybody have any recommendations that are available in the UK?

Also, cables: I don't know if I trust the George L cable concept, they just look like they'd fail too often, so I'm looking for a decent brand of flexible patch cable available in 6", 12" and (if poss.) 18" lengths. There will be about 15 feet of cable on my board so I feel I ought to go with a decent brand, but nothing ridiculously-priced like Legend. Unless you guys all swear by the George L stuff???

As always any advice much appreciated.

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    They look pretty good, but the size I'd need would be the same price as the UK-based builder (once I'd paid shipping, VAT, import duty, etc.).

If I knew how to work a saw I'd make my own but I don't know how to saw latches and hinges on.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i'd say Pedal Train.

however, working a saw and such isn't that hard. just mind your fingers and you'll be fine.

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Pedaltrain do have a UK distributor but they're even more pricey than the Diago boxes.

Maybe Diago's stuff really is good value and I just don't appreciate how much a plywood box is worth these days.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  6. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    theres a warwick rockcase with those dimensions, it's the one I have

7. zeb_bass

zeb_bass

Oct 27, 2007
    Berlin Germany
  8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I found a 600mm x 400mm Rockcase but that's an infuriating shape because in terms of area it looks OK, but I can't use all the space because I've got a BMS and a Q-Tron that have to fit in there, and they don't leave enough room for two rows of pedals alongside them - just one and a half. Short of chopping some pedals in half I can't make them fit that shape. :(

That's why I was looking for something wider and not quite as deep.

I have been looking at the Spider boards too. They do look like good value but as is always the case (pun acknowledged) with these things the "Large" isn't quite large enough and the "X-Large" is way too big... :D

9. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    I use a 80x50 rockcase.. really cheap case.. decent quality.

About george L's.. I love em.. I solder @least one end so the pre-gig check gets easier...

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I use Diago. The quality of the boards is very good. I also use their power station, and buy my George L's patch cables from them.

Here's a thought:

Once you'd bought the wood, carpet, corner protectors, handles, screws, rubber feat, hinges, locks, and the velcro etc. I doubt you'd have much change from what Diago charge. I don't imagine anyone is retiring early making that stuff.