1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal Board of my Dreams (dry/wet DI blend) Leads to more GAS!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Philly Watts, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    IMG_20170429_232327_236.

Hello Talkbass! This is my board...

Although I haven't touched a single setting on it in quite a while, it has just changed dramatically.

Tonight, I added a second Radial SB-2 to the board, which is taking a feed off of the balanced and dry DI output of my wireless stomp box.

Now, with two Radial DI's I have the good fortune to be able to blend my Amp and Cab Sim DI (with effects) along with the dry signal DI in both live and recording situations.

The coolest and most under rated features are that the effects sound much better when blended with the dry DI tone; as well as the fact that the wireless stomp box mutes both of the DI signals while sending a separate signal to my tuner, which is always on (bonus)!

My point is that sometimes the simpler things can mean so much to us guys and gals out there, who are always searching for the best tone.

Well.. THAT and of course, the journey for better tone NEVER ENDS! After all, I have major GAS now for trying to swap the MXR M80 for a Darkglass VMT Deluxe. Also, I want to try switching out the MXR Bass Compressor for a Cali 76 Compact Bass Compressor...

Big $$$$$ is needed!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    SunnBass and Seanbassplayer like this.
  2. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    So how does your signal chain go just curious Thx

3. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    Glad you asked! The AT SYSTEM 10 wireless stomp has both an A and B out that are balanced 1/4 inch TRS outputs.

The B output is always on and goes directly to a Radial SB-2 passive DI (for my dry DI signal) which also sends thru to the Korg tuner.

The A output is where my "amp tone" comes from and can be muted with the foot switch. Here is the signal chain...

AT SYSTEM 10 -> MXR M80 (used as a preamp and distortion option) -> MXR M87 Bass Compressor -> MXR PHASE 95 -> SANSAMP BDDI V2 (used as tube amp and cabinet sim) -> BOSS BASS CHORUS -> RADIAL SB-2 (to send the effected DI signal)

What's cool is that the second Radial has a thru out that I can run to the effects return of my GK 700 RB ii and NEO 4x10.

So basically, all in all, I have an amp and cab sim DI with effects, a dry DI, the GK DI out, and I can even mic my cabinet if needed.

Interesting thing is that, for some reason, the MXR PHASE 95 sounded better before the Sansamp, rather than after. The Boss Bass Chorus truly sounds way better after the Sansamp.

Also, the MXR M80 distortion channel (which usually sounds fizzy, almost RAT like) sounds almost like a vintage tube distortion when running before the BDDI.

If you'd like, I can record some samples of the tone I'm getting out from blending the clean and effected DI's.

4. Philly Watts

Philly Watts

May 6, 2016
    Here it is! The first half is the blended CLEAN DI and AMP DI tone along with drums. The second half is the same, except with the DISTORTION engaged on the MXR M80. No chorus or phaser were used in this clip. Let me know what you think about the M80 Distortion running into the SANSAMP. Cheers!

Attached Files:

5. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Nice I like it especially the dirty half. I only can listen through my phone atm but sounds meaty grindy.. love it. Kudos to the versatility of your board man pretty slick! Currently still building my board , as it stands I got korg pb> vmt> empress compressor > b7k. I'm waiting for my local music store to have the new Ampeg classic analog bass preamp to add some svt style tone to the mix then a good di then I'm happy lol maybe that new cabdryvr pedal from digitech been eyeing that too lol..

Philly Watts likes this.