1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal board order where one effect is always on

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glassmoon, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Hi all
    While there's plenty of posts concerning pedal board order, I can't find any where one (or more) effect is always running.
    I have, through my EBS MicroBass II effects loop, an EBS OctaBass octave, a BOSS ODB-3 Bass OverDrive, a BOSS CE-2B Bass Chorus, and an MXR Stereo Chorus, that is always on.

My question... While I have the order (after reading many a thread here on TB) as octave, overdrive and chorus (x2)... I'm unsure as to where the always-on-chorus should sit. It's currently at the end of the loop, but I'm wondering whether that's really where it should be.

Many thanks for any and all advice... In advance.
    Julian

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The advice for chorus has always been "wherever it sounds good to you", and that does not change if it is always on. I challenge you to find even one thread where the majority answer was not "put it wherever it sounds good".

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

This^^

The MXR Chorus, as beautiful-sounding as it is, is a bit quirky in terms of location. When I had one, it was located just before the PBDDI, never after, because it just sounded like crap if placed after.

4. Hey all

Fantastic responses. My issue isn't so much with the MXR's sound, it's where technically it should be...
    But I'm going to take the pedals apart and just try :)

5. It should be where you like it. There is no technically should be. A lot of people seem to like chorus after dirt and before delay but that doesn't mean that it has to go there. Chorus before dirt sounds pretty dang good too.