1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal Board Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JAbassZZ, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JAbassZZ

JAbassZZ

Jun 14, 2012
    hello everyone. I think i am about to build a pedal board and wanted to know what people think is the best way to do so, like power supply (i was think VL PP2 or DC Brick?) setup etc. the pedals i have so far are the Line 6 M13, MXR Blow torch, MXR bass envelope filter, markbass super synth, and the boss FV500L. i will probaly get a couple more. i am new to this site (even tho i have been reading things from it for years). im sure there are many posts similar to this but i still appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me out.

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Depending on whether you need to save a lot of room or avoid having to use separate wall-warts, thegigrig.com makes a pretty cool powering system that's worth checking out (they're also on YouTube.)

3. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    A DC Brick will not do it. The MarkBass needs 12V with at least 550 mA, the Blowtorch need 18V, and I'm not even sure what the M13 uses for power. You MIGHT be able to use a PP2, but you're going to have to get creative. You'll have to use the AC plug to power the super synth, as none of the outputs carry enough current to power it. You'll need a voltage doubling cable to power the MXR. The M13 might run on the same power as the big L6 modeling pedals, but I'm not entirely sure. The pedals you have just make using a single power supply a little tricky.

EDIT: After checking out The GigRig, that would be a good alternative to the PP2....

4. JAbassZZ

JAbassZZ

Jun 14, 2012
    thanks for letting me know about the gig rig site it looks like a winner theres so many options with that. But do u have any tips on what order is best for the pedals i have? o yea and the m13 uses a 9v 2000 mA power supply

5. Grrface

Grrface

Jun 26, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    That 2000 mA requirement will crush most power supplies. You might want to look into the PP2+, since I believe it'll let you do the weird voltages for the MB and the Blowtorch, and it has a courtesy outlet that you could plug the M13's power brick into.

6. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The GigRig system should be able to handle the M13, it offers something like 5A on tap, which is more than enough for several M13s. And it probably doesn't even draw all 2000mA, most companies just overshoot it with their included power supplies to be on the safe side. Email Thegigrig if you want, they're very helpful.

7. LSMFT6

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    And the best order for your pedals is whatever sounds good to you. Experiment.

8. The DC Brick has three 18VDC and seven 9VDC outputs, but a TOTAL current capacity of 1000mA. So you can use any combination of pedal current requirements, as long as they don't exceed 1000 mA total.

The PP2+ has four outputs that are switchable between 9VDC @ 100mA and 12VDC @60mA; two high current outs switchable between 9VDC @ 250mA and 14VDC @ 50 or 12VDC @ 200mA; plus two adjustable outputs of 4VDC-9VDC @ 100mA. You need a special cable to daisy chain two 9V outs to get 18V.

And, the PP2+ provides more stable power. I have a Hardwire tuner that's very power-sensitive and would cut out for any slight fluctuation. Did it all the time with the Brick, but not with the PP2+.

Neither can handle 2000mA.