1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pedal board power supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jodyperkins, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jodyperkins

jodyperkins

Mar 28, 2006
    I've decided to purchase a Pedal Train JR and power supply. My problem is I'm not sure which power supply to go with.

I did some quick (rough) estimates and figure I should easily be able to get 10 standard Boss pedals on there (that isn't my plan, I just was using that as a reference for myself). I doubt I'll be running that many pedals, but from my experience watching others, they start with a few and end up with a lot of pedals. I'd like to be prepared for more than 5 or 6 pedals just in case, but mainly would like to have plenty of room on the board.

My question is - what's a good, dependable power supply that I can mount to a PT board that won't break the bank.

2. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    I went with the Voodoo PP2, a bit pricey but im very happy with it. I made the mistake of buying the Dunlop brick first, waste of time as it did not condition the power and i got as much buzz as i did from the one spot.

3. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Voodoo PP2 or BBE Supacharger

4. carbonfold

carbonfold Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    BBE Supacharger will be best bang for buck. You can pick them up used for $70-100 and just as good as the Voodoo.

5. do the math on your pedals. make a chart with voltage & mA.
    then go here to find one that fits the bill
    http://stinkfoot.se/archives/808

i'm running BBE Supacharger, TRex Fuel Tank Jr & Voodoo PP2+ on my boards. they all work great.

6. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    After reading a lot of good reviews I decided to take a chance and go for a cheaper model

http://www.stagebeat.com/Chord-9v-DC-Power-Bank-173.080UK-132441

Got it, used it at about 3 shows works fine, up to 10 detachable power leads (i'm sure you could daisychain) works noiselessly, I wish the power lead was a bit longer but not a huge problem. My only criticism is that it feels light, not built as strongly as others i've seen

But at a third of the price it's pretty damn awesome.

7. 3l3phantstomp

3l3phantstomp Doesn't Welcome Our New Overlords

Jun 6, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Not sure if you are in the market for a pedal tuner as well but the korg pitchblack + is amazing and also has a dedicated daisy-chain power out. And comes with a connector cable to power three or four others (but not the AC adaptor..i use a cheapie behriger 9V adaptor). I use it for my bass and my guitarist rocked it for his rig as well. Not had an issue, but not sure about your pedals and their requirments. But for three 9v pedals, its the bombaclott.

8. Whatever your power needs, I'd recommend getting a Voodoo Labs PSU (or the Decibel eleven version) that fits underneath the PT Jr using the brackets that PT supply.

I went with the Voodoo Labs Digital Power (as in - it can power hungry digital pedals, the PSU itself is the same type as all other VL ones), and it sits great underneath and makes for a very tidy pedalboard.

bild2-2_zps19f9724e.

9. 90dphillips

90dphillips

Jan 11, 2012
    Murrieta
    Voodoo Labs.

10. sam adams

sam adams

May 21, 2009
    I use a Sanyo Pedal Juice with a couple daisy chains. It's pretty great. No AC required, just a long lasting rechargable lithium battery giving clean consistent power.

I recently saw that Pedaltrain is actually making their own version of that as well. Flatter and wider as to fit under all of their boards.

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I had the Voodoo Plus but after two returns I got a Gator G-Bus-8-US Pedal Board Power Supply and haven't look back love it. I have two on my board.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    One Spot.

13. My One Spot will run 8 pedals at once with no noise.

14. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Some pedals don't play so nice with the 1Spot. My M5 creates a little hum. Does any one know if there is an adapter to isolate one of the plugs on a daisy chain? I know Diago makes one, but not sure it will work with the 1Spot, and I can't find one to try.

J!

15. bezo420

bezo420

Aug 28, 2011
    Mentor
    Voodoo Labs and Pedaltrain are like peanut butter and jelly. Why go out and find a pickle?

16. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    BBE SupaCharger. Eight isolated outlets, supporting 9, 12, or 16 VDC.

i-ZQV3g5H-M.

i-ZqKC2Kg-M.

Fits perfectly under the PT Junior. The only thing I'm not powering with it is the Effectrode PC-2A compressor, which needs 12 VDC at 350 mA, which is more than the BBE can put out.

17. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    I'm using a Supa Charger and it has held up for 100+ gigs. Mounts just like the Voodoo. Pedaltrain has their own coming out this year.

18. jodyperkins

jodyperkins

Mar 28, 2006
    Thanks for the information. I had looked at the Voodoo PP2. I wasn't familar with the Supa Charger. The price difference is enough to catch my eye. I saw that PT was coming out with their own but I'm not sure when it's coming out - and I'm looking to get something sooner rather than later.

I'm also glad I noticed that thumpinator. That looks like something I'd be interested in as well.

19. One Spots are pretty awesome, but if you have some 18 or 24 V pedals, or any hum/isolation issues, you'll want a more flexible dedicated power supply. I am getting good use out of my Voodoo Labs PP2, but I had store credit built up where I bought it, so if you can get a better deal from BBE why not? There are some other reliable alternatives, Cioks comes to mind, or TRex Chameleon and Fuel Tank.

For me the PP2 edged out the Fuel Tank on features though (mostly the isolation setup). I am running three 18 V effects off of one daisy chain. Voodoo sells a special voltage combining power cable that adds the voltage of two taps on the power supply together, but with daisy chaining I had no problem powering my whole board up.