Pedal board set up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by David AW, May 5, 2021.

1. David AW

David AW

Apr 26, 2021
    Hey guys/girls

Just finishing my first pedal board set up and this is how I have my circuit chain set... bass to ===> Compression => Tuner => Octave => Overdrive => Chorus => Delay ......

If anybody has other suggestions please let me know, or even if you thing my set up is sound, let me know? thanks!!!

Raman likes this.
  2. Looks good to me.

ItsmeSantiago, Zbysek and David AW like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I think the above makes sense. But most important is how it sounds to you. Try switching the dirt and the octave, see which way you like best with both on, just saying because octave and dirt together is magic. And Chorus after that is also pretty great on occasion. I prefer compression first in the chain as well but I put tuner before that. Although the Tuner doesn't change anything so whatever works best for your cable management is fine. Modulation (chorus or phaser or envelope stuff) always after the processing and delay and/or reverb dead last in my most unimpeachable opinion.

4. David AW

David AW

Apr 26, 2021
    thanks man! That is great feedback!

5. David AW

David AW

Apr 26, 2021
    what are your thoughts on an envelope filter pedal? Never ever used one. Was reading up a bit on them but overall your thoughts? I play in a metal band and i read that style of music you play can influence whether an envelope filter is a good fit or not. Of course the article didn’t list any specific music genres where the envelope could be an added benefit haha

Killing Floor likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I've been on a bender trying to find the right envelope filter. I like the Josh Wah sometimes but I think I like the Seamoon Funk Machine better because it seems to play cleaner. I think that auto filter stuff sounds great in funk. But really you could probably use it anywhere. I think there are times where an OD is always on (or a fuzz if you can find one that plays well with bass) but the mod stuff is just an accent, like in a bridge.

7. David AW

David AW

Apr 26, 2021
    Ya i guess i really just don’t understand what the envelope filter does in general or why its really important ‍♂️

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I don't see any issues with your ordering, although I second Killing Floor's suggestion to swap the compressor and tuner. I like my tuner first so it gets the cleanest signal possible.

One thing I do that's different is I put my compressor last, but that's because of how I use it. I use it as a leveler to smooth out my overall output level. That way my overall volume doesn't change drastically regardless which pedals I turn off and on. If you put yours first, then I'm assuming you use it differently than I do and that's OK. :)

One other related thing since you mentioned an envelope filter... The intensity of the effect is based on the level of your input signal, so you might want to try an envelope filter both before and after your compressor to see which position works better for you. If you try the compressor first and find that you're not getting enough intensity from the envelope filter, then maybe the filter would better for you before your compressor.

Have fun experimenting!

SemiDriven and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. David AW

David AW

Apr 26, 2021

Raman and dave64o like this.
  10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    +1

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I do this kind of setup

1 - First I run into an equalizer

2 - Then I split the signal into 4 parallel signals with a rolls mixer.

3 - I run one of the parallel lines into the Line6 bass pod where I model an acoustic 360 with a rat or big muff distortion pedal. I use this to get a retro growlly distorted sound. Or I also model an Ampeg fliptop with the Rat Distortion pedal. And I also Model an old Marshall amp. With the bass pod I can get a wide range of clean or dirty sounds and various effects and model different amps and speaker cabinets.

4 - The second parallel signal goes into a MXR bass di+. I use this pedal to get a clean modern sound. It also has a distortion button that can give a moderate to extreme amount of modern distortion.

5 - The third parallel signal goes into a Marshall Guv'nor. This gives me an old 60s marshall stack sound. This can go from a small amount of distortion to an over the top marshall sound. This effect can give you a the classic Jack Bruce Cream tone after the Guv'nor I run a Mel 9 for strings/orchestra effect. This effect is only used sometimes.

6 - The fourth parallel signal goes into a Tech21 VT Bass pedal. With this effect I get a slightly dirty Ampeg SVT bass amp sound with a tube like growl.

7 - Then I remix the 4 signals back together and run it into a bass amp, or pa, or studio mixer. Because the signals are parallel I can mix clean and overdriven sounds together and still get effect and a sound that punches through the mix, and the last effect is a reverb echo delay effect.

effects-sch.jpg

David AW likes this.
  12. Envelope filter is, IMO, one of the most personal and varied effect types around, which makes it difficult to describe. What it does is increases the resonance of a filter while moving the center of your filter based on the strength of your playing.

This can sound like quacks, or wubs, or skweauuuus, or a bunch of other sounds depending how it's set up. To me the best analog pedal to teach you how filters work would be an EHX Enigma (if you understand how that pedal works, you can pick up on almost any filter), but that has a steep learning curve. There are simpler filters that sound fine to great like the MicroQTron or DOD FX25 or EBS BassIQ, but they will only give you the basics on how a specific type works. There are also a freaking ton of pedals in between, and digital pedals like the Source Audio Spectrum and C4 with more parameters than you can shake a stick at.

Filters are the kind of effect that will blow your board order out of the water depending on what you have it do. It is an amazing, cool sounding effect, but it has a notable learning curve, IMO, IME.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  13. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    I like the tuner first myself, as it's also a mute. In my experience, heavier compression settings can also add sounds that confuse the tuner.

Be aware that adding overdrive to a compressed signal may not work well with heavier distortions, so with the OD on, you may want to defeat the compression. Experiment there... OD's tend to add some compression themselves.

If you add an envelope filter, a compressor or OD before it can affect the filter action. Consider using the filter on an uncompressed signal, and again, experiment.

Personally, I use two compressors. An MXR M87 up front, and a Really Nice Compressor in the effects loop. The RNC is set up for leveling, the MXR is for squashing. The RNC is on all the time, the MXR goes on and off depending on the sound. I also use a Boss GT-1B for a lot of the chorus / phase / flanger stuff, which is why the M87 isn't on all the time.

David AW likes this.
  14. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Try: Tuner first. Compressor last.
    Otherwise good for me.

ERIC31 likes this.
  15. David AW

David AW

Apr 26, 2021
    Damn son. Yeah a lot different than my set up, but looks awesome :)

I have the Mesa subway D800 running into Mesa 4x10 subway cab, the D800 has a built in preamp so sound guy can run xlr direct from the port in the back of the D800 into his mixer when we’re gigging which eliminates any need for any preamp pedal... i’ll just put money saved on that pedal into another pedal haha

16. David AW

David AW

Apr 26, 2021
    Nice, all good info here as well! Thanks! Im using the Darkglass Microtubes B3K CMOS o/d which should be good with the compression running but will experiment like you had mentioned, thanks man :)

Raman likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’d put the tuner first in line before the compressor. But otherwise I’d leave everything else as is. Unless your overdrive is the type of OD that responds to the dynamics of your playing. If that’s the case then it might make more sense to put it in front of the compressor since the compressor can even out some of your dynamics thereby negating some of the touch sensitivity of that OD.

But that’s me. If you’re happy with what you’ve set up, then it’s all good. :thumbsup:

David AW likes this.
  18. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    There is no right or wrong way to do it. It’s all about preference.

MTN.bass72 likes this.
  19. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    There is no reason for the tuner to go completely through the loop. I prefer to run it from a line out of one of the effects, or from the effects loop on the amp with the idea that the cleaner I can keep the flow, the better the end result.

David AW likes this.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    here's an older version of the pedalboard here >>> bass effects (3dentourage.com)

I am thinking of doing a youtube video on my pedalboard

I got the idea of parallel processing from Geddy Lee

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021