Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal Boards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    are pedals boards good to have around?
    Im a gear head.... and just wondering...
    do they have anything special about em besides saving on walwarts and stuff?
    thanks

2. the advantage is.. you can bolt your pedals to the board, andthey'll always be in the same place..

just hook your guitar on one end.. your amp on the other 3 ends ( output + fx-send/return ), hook up 1 power-cord, and you're ready to go :D

3. Make your own! Get a power strip, 9v adapter, some wire and ends, patch cords, velcro-tape and a board. For about $25 and an hour or so, you can have a custom pedal board. It's what I did. I plug my amps and pedals into the power strip. Everything is velcroed down. Plug in 2 cables, and you're all set.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I agree. Make your own. I made anice 2 tier board from some scrap wood that I painted black and put velcro on. I hide the power strip under the 2nd. tier and everything is routed nicely. I carry it around in one of those travel suitcases (with wheels and the retractable handle) that I bought for about $20. In total (inculding the suitcase and not counting the pedals) I probably have about $40 in the whole thing and I love it.

-KB

5. where do you get the power strips from?

6. ...umm anywhere? cvs, walmart, home depot, staples, dollar store...?

7. by powerstrip do you mean powerbar?

8. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    By powerbar do you mean a mass produced product that you eat which is supposed to be healthy? That's what I think of when I hear powerbar at least. I'll give you a general description and let's see how close we are: most powerstrips are essentially a piece of molded plastic with plugs built in it which allows you to use multiple adapters from one outlet.

I'm sure powerstrip and powerbar are probably the same thing, just different terms for it from different parts of the world.

9. Power strip:

[​IMG]

10. yeah, a plastic bar of power...hense...powerbar. nails, you've just been overly exposed to the commerical bussiness of energy/workout foods.

11. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I can see how powerbar came about. I figure powerstrip came about the same way, strip of plugs = powerstrip. Oh well, at least we got the whole powerstrip vs. powerbar thing figured out.

MadPink, I can't really explain why the term powerbar triggered an image of energy/workout foods. I would have to say it's because I see alot of commercials for them, and down here in Texas we say powerstrip instead of powerbar (regional dialects, gotta love 'em.) But now that I think about it, powerstrip sounds a little dirty. Just imagine the "gentlemen's club" that offers that service. :eek:

12. i bought one of those godlyke adapters ( step-down tech ).. 1 adapter.. allows up to 20 pedals..

there's 2 of them on my 'board, always put 1 spare on it.. :)

requires about 6x6 cm of space.. leaving more space for the pedals.

http://www.godlyke.com/switchmode.html ;)

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    That switchmode is what i use to power everything on my pedalboard too. It is great and very compact.

-KB

14. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    I agree, make your own. I have 2 which I run side by side, one I made out of unreasonably thick MDF( board with welded handles and a clip on lid , and one out of a converted camera case (open up the hinges, pad the main box and mount wood in the lid to raise the pedals up and voila!!!!). I use standard powerstrips to power the pedals BUT (concedes inferiority in this aspect) due to the RIDICULOUS sise of plugs in the UK you only get 4 on a strip so they take up wayyy more room. I daisy chain similar voltage and polarity pedals but I have 4 different polarity pedals now which require their own power supply. Ugggh. I also try to space the adaptors well as it can create noise if you run them side by side.

15. I would actually say take a look at Rondomusic.com. Go to the equipment racks section, they have pedal boards too. They appear to be great boards, nice structure, and cost $25 for the small one, $30 for the larger one.

16. I just rolled my own. 3/4 MDF routed to fit the BOSS profile. I made the top for it, and the underside of it has 1" foam to hold everything in place as it travels. Add "Crackle" paint for ultra-coolness factor. The pedals are staggered because that's the easiest way to just hit one at a time, or double up on two at the same time. Works GREAT. I don't use the Wah anymore, so it doesn't count.

[​IMG]

I'm probably gonna build another one out of 1/2" MDF and diamond plate, with extruded aluminum corners. Bond the aluminum to the MDF, dado or dovetail the joints. Use some SKB style hold downs recessed. Paint the inside red and black accents.

Or make one out of lexan and frost it. Dunno. lord knows I have spare time...surrrreee

17. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    You ARE nuts, tufnuts...I need a new countertop done, are you interested? You do nice work! I found a nice starting point for my board was a cordura Case Logic audio cassette tape holder that I wasn't using(traded in the cassettes toward CD's, I have a terrific record shop in my area that does this!). It is a smaller one (appx.16"w X10"d), perfect for an Akai Headrush and 2 Boss pedals. I made the board out of 3/4" plywood that I used a dark Minwax stain on. I added Velcro tape to secure the pedals and they are powered by a Switchmode power supply(terrific!). I remove the board from the case and secure it to the stage using duct tape and I'm ready to rock!

18. I did...now I just have to work up the nerve to wire the thing.

[​IMG]