Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal Boards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, May 24, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Any recommendations? I need a bug one. I want it to include a Boss RC-20, a Q-tron +, a Russian Bass Balls, a 105Q, a Russian Small Stone, a Boss ph-3, a Big Muff Pi, and have room for a couple more that I swap in and out randomly. Anybody have a good design I can build?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If your where to buy one...the Furman one is great!
    I have one and it's the best I've seen....it's not cheap, but what is these days:(

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks Jerry, I'll look into Furman.

4. build one. easy and cheap.

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    yeah, but unless I come up with some really cool design I might go with the aluminum type.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I fashioned my own board which I carry around in an aluminum CNB case(from Rondomusic.com). It has a velcro interior and locks. Not too much dough.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    That sounds pretty workable, thanks.

8. You can actually make your own pretty cheap if you have a dad that has a workshop in your garage... :rolleyes: And for the rest of us that have no access to maiming instruments of death in the places our cars should normally be, you can get costum made ones and use your own power supply (supplies).

http://www.pedalboards.com/
    http://www.pedalboard.com/
    (the two are different, trust me)

If you were to get a switcher you could just slap all your effects on a rack shelf covered with velcro and control them via foot-switch, the effects would just sit there but they would still be able to be used even changed easier between songs. This can be more expensive though, you'll need more cables that are longer in length if you use a switcher that does individual loops. Which can also degrade the quality of your signal into noisey hums and high end loss, not to mention the great tangles you'de have to undo every night. But if you were to get a midi loop switcher in your rack, like the switchblade and control the patches you create with a footswitch you would experience less to no signal loss, and with some higher quality switchers you can even rearrange the way your effects are set up.

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks Bigfeet. the switchblade is a little out of range at the moment, though it's on the list. I have a DW labs quickchange, which is like the poor mans version of that, sort of. It has five effects loops that you can asign into four groups. It switches between the four groups by means of a serial connection and foot switch. I was dreaming about this the other day, tell me what you think. Five effects lops means A LOT of cable right? Would I lose too much signal if I went from the pedal board to RCA cable, (you can buy a a strand with as many ends as you want, sort of like the type an ADAT uses) and run that to the Quickchange? My thinking is I'd only have one big cable to deal with from a neatly organized pedal board. What I have now is tens of cables and mess of pedals = long set up time.

10. It's really more of the amount of cable your signal goes through before you plug into your amp the longer the cable the more signal loss this applies to every cable in your setup even the short ones. Those cable mates or snake kits are still going to degrade your signal pretty badly. A set up of seven six inch cables and two ten foot cables would be like 23.5" (or more counting the routing in your pedals) worth of signal loss. A buffer inbetween the inputs and outputs of your pedal board or switcher can greatly reduce this. Some higher quality ones will come with buffers built in. A few things you should consider when you set up your effects live are.

-how easy will it be to toute them around and then set them up when you get to a gig, will you have to chain them each time or just get a bunch of zip-ties and other fancy anti tangle devices and leave them there? That's what I like most about many wired pedal boards or switching systems, you just treat them like one effect. Plug in, plug out... 10 second setup for your effects.

-Can you change the settings on your effects inbetween songs while playing live? A guitarist friend of mine did this allot, he used a strand of christmas lights pluged into his ac strip for extra light to chang his settings live. I'm sure you could come up with better ideas.

-and will you have ultimate expression of your effects setup?

The pros and cons of each type of set up are pretty obvious... Racking your effects and using a switcher will give you the convienence of easy access, lighting and a better way of expressing your setup for the most it's worth. The only con is it makes your current rack heavier. In fringing on your gigablity... Using a pedal board will not give you the convience of expression but it will give you the best sound quality and convienence.

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    You can always build your own out of plywood. That is what i did and it works great and is fairly cheap (I forget how much I paid for in total to make mine, probably around $40 including the velcro). Then just put velcro in long strips and the pedals can easily be moved around. I also put a non-skid pad on the bottom and used cheap black spraypaint. I hide my power supply (switchmode) under the 2nd tier and it works great. I move it around in one of those cheap airline carry-on style suitcases with the wheels and extendable handles (about $30 at a discount store).

[​IMG]

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Ok, thanks Bigfeet and KB. I need to think about what I want the most here. I guess I'll avoid the extra cable though.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hello BlissHead if your looking for a less costly pedalboard that is perfect try John Chandler of pedaltrain at

the j. chandler company
    ph (615) 599-5794
    fx (615) 599-5795
    email jc@pedaltrain.com
    web <http://www.pedaltrain.com>

14. Spectorgirl

Spectorgirl

May 28, 2002
    Just curious-what kind everyone's using. And if you don't-why?

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Spectorgirl.:cool:

Wrong forum. Effects, maybe?

16. Spectorgirl

Spectorgirl

May 28, 2002
    oh, ok
    For me it's an extension to my bass-my bad!!

17. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Psst...fill out your profile...:D

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Moved to Effects.

19. Josh Ryan