Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal Boards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Dec 28, 2002.

1. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    Well, santa got me some more pedals... and i had a few before...now the time has come where as i want to be able to put them all on a pedal board. i looked around about buying one, but man they are expensive! so ive come to the conclusion, im just going to make one myself (i hope)!

did anyone ever make there own pedal boards? any suggestions or tips on making one???

thanks in advance!:)

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This has been covered in detail in previous threads. Try searching the Effects Forum for pedal boards, power supply, velchro, etc. You'll find a wealth of info.

I went the home made route myself. Scrap wood board + can of black spray paint + $35 Signal Flex power supply + velchro = one very decent and functional pedal board for less than $45!!!

3. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'm thinking of getting a new pedalboard. I currently have one from www.pedalboard.net which is just a piece of laquered wood that'll hold 4 Boss size pedals. It does the job, was the right price, but is a bit low rent. What I like about it is that it's small. What I don't like about it is that it slides around (yeah, I should/can buy rubber feet for it). Also, there's no protection for the pedals. I put the board in a duffel bag and put other stuff in the bag too. The problem with that is my knobs get bumped and settings get changed. Boo.

So I'm looking at these two:

1. The Pedaltrain. It looks great, but costs a lot of money.

2. The KMC Custom pedal boards. These look great too, and are reasonably priced, but are huge (3 feet across!).

So, for a guy like me, who has minimal effects (TU-2 tuner, SABBDI, Boss Chorus, small wireless rig) but might like to expand in the future (maybe a Fulltone OD, and a cheap compression pedal I have laying around), what would you suggest? I'm leaning towards the KMC but something about the Pedaltrain keeps calling my name...

Thanks!

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    built my own with plywood, black paint, velcro, and a non-slip rug mat on the bottom.
    Very cheap.
    Power strip under shelf with a switchmode powersupply feeding everything.

[​IMG]

not too heavy and I carry it in one of those airplane black carry-on type suitcases (with wheels and expandable handle).

-KB

5. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey KB,

That board is quite cool. Do you have pictures from other angles? And what is a "switchmode powersupply"? Something that allows you to change voltages, etc?

How do you like the Fulltone? I've been lusting after one for some time now...

Gwon

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Fulltone bassdrive is the best bass overdrive out there IMHO. That picture is kind of old. I now have a US bassballs and a MXR Phase 90 on there and the EBS BassIQ is gone.

I don't have nay other pictures but I can take some if you like, just let me know what you would like to see. it is just 2 levels with 2 small vertical side pieces raising the 2nd level. I put the velcro so I could move the pedals easily in different orders if I want.

Switchmode powersuppy is a digital step down transformer that can power many pedals and is very small (smaller than a walwart).

you can see it here:
    http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.MAXSWM&z=1578465817858

it is only 9V, but can power up to about 20 pedals.

-KB