pedal broken?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ACE|FRAG, May 4, 2004.

Apr 18, 2003
    hey fellow bassists
    got myself a little problem, maybe you lot can help?
    about a year ago i bought a BOSS ODB-3 chorus pedal and it has served me pretty well ever since
    however, a few days ago it stopped working - the LED comes on and is bright as ever so it isnt the battery, both input and output leads are working fine so it isnt them - what could be wrong?
    yes it is still under warrenty but sending it back is a last option for me, id prefer to open it up and fiddle about and try to fix it myself, but only if anyone has some pointers or advice as to what i should be looking for and looking to fix
    once again - the unit recognises that its on and that im plugged in (the LED is bright red) but the effect (chorus) fails to come on when i press down on the pedal even although the LED is responding
    any help atall is much appreciated, thanks in advance
    peace, wes
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You would get much better help and responses if you posted this in effects.

PM the Mod and have them move it, the pedal heads hang

That being said, if you open the box and try to fix it yourself, and screw something up, you most likely will void the

I suspect the on/off switch the pedal operates in the circuit board either has a mechanical fault, or the switch has failed.

Having the LED light come on means that a circuit has been completed between the battery and your input jack and LED,
    it may not necessarily follow that a circuit is completed between your input jack and the effects electronics board.
    nor does it speak to the condition of the voltage of the output of the board to the output jack.

If you are conversant with electronics, have a basic test
    meter, and can disassemble and reassemble gear without losing screws or parts, fine.

If it was me, I'd send it back, as it is under warranty and get a new one. You'll have it pretty quickly.

My .02

to the output
  3. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hi ace.... stop by HLCCL more :p
  4. There's problems with it already, it can only get worse.
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :confused: ODB-3 is an overdrive pedal, CEB-3 is a chorus. At any rate, I had trouble with an ODB-3 one time. I think that my problem had to do with a grounding problem or something like that. You know the little rubber grommet that the thumb screw goes through? That had ripped (over time, from normal use) so that the thumb screw came into contact with the chassis of the device. it would not work. I pulled the rubber piece out and flipped it over and reinstalled it "bad side down, good side up" so that the screw didn't contact metal anymore and everything worked fine. Check that rubber piece first.