1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal building...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Woodsbass, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hey guys..

I've been playing around with building the Buzz Box (From this site http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html at the bottom of the page). I've got the circuit assembled, and I'm having an issue.

I have no noise when the power supply is connected to the circuit. It goes dead silent. Once I disconnect the power supply though, the circuit starts working. It's almost like the capacitors discharging is powering the circuit, once the power supply gets plugged in.

Any ideas why this would happen? I have the circuit hooked up EXACTLY as shown on the site, can anyone help me?!

Thanks!

:bassist:

2. The 9v lead from the PCB should be connected to the top lug of the dc jack. There should be three lugs on the jack. From top to bottom there are two parallel lugs and one perpendicular to those on the left side. But it doesn't sound like your pedal is true by-pass so I'm not sure if this helps. This might:
    http://gaussmarkov.net/wordpress/thoughts/wiring-up-a-1590b/

3. Sorry, I should have included some more info.

This is on a breadboard. I've got the ground properly connected and the 9V going to the collector of the two 2N3904s through the 100k resistors).

I didn't bother with the volume seeing as I'm just breadboarding it to see how it sounds before I buy the parts.

I'm going into second year Electronics Engineering Tech., so I do know how to hook up circuits and what not, but I'm not sure what the issue could be here, I'm just starting to play around with audio-electronics.

Thanks for any help!!

4. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Make sure your caps point the right way. The circuit calls for electrolytics. The negative side should point to the input jack and output jack respectively.
    Make sure no wires are shorting anything out anywhere, this one is obvious, but then again, it's the most common mistake.
    The resistor is a 10k when using the darlington pair.

5. To anyone who is interested!

I found out the issue. I'm only posting this in the hopes it may help someone in the future, because I feel like an idiot. :rolleyes:

I bought my transistors from Radio-Shack (I know, I know, but I wanted to do this project on the cheap!) and on the back of the package was a diagram demonstrating which lead of the transistor was which. Of course, once I looked up a real datasheet (and had a large glass of milk and a sandwich) I saw that it was backwards.

The fuzz now works, and if there is interest I'll post some clips later to demonstrate how it sounds, just let me know what you wanna hear.

As of now there is no controls on the circuit, but I plan on figuring out how to make a fuzz control, just so I can dial it back a bit.

Cheers!

6. Glad you got it working. Were the transistors from RS 2N3904s? It's easy for somebody to forget to check the pinout of different transistors, but if the packaging is wrong it's a real shame.
    Anyway, I don't have any 1N34As at the moment so it would be interesting (for me) if you could compare the sound of 1N34A and a 1N4148 as the 2nd diode. I know it sounds good with the 4148 (just breadboarded it), but I'd like to know if it's worth ordering some more diodes.

7. Sure thing, I've got the circuit set up still, I'll just plug in a second 1N4148.

8. Alright, well the 1N34A is warmer, and less glitchy. I prefer it, but you can decide for yourself, I recorded some quick clips (excuse my horrible playing please) so you could see how they sound.

They should be up on my soundcloud soon, I'll upload the links once they're up.

9. Also, yes the package was wrong. The datasheet and the package were completely backwards from each other...go figure :rolleyes: .

10. Derp, it takes me to my own SC account. I think you need to link to an actual track.

11. Thanks! You're right, the one with the 1N34A sounds less... splattery. I don't remember hearing much difference when I tried the Bazz Fuss with germanium, but I guess it makes more of a difference in this one because of the higher voltage or something.

12. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Keep in mind, fuzz pedals often include a small trimpot to adjust a type of bias that determines how splattery/smooth it sounds (germanium ones anyway, which are less stable). The two transistors just may need different adjustments before you decide which one you like better.

13. It's actually the diode in the feedback loop that's being changed, so I think the bias remains the same.