Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal cables

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Dec 26, 2005.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I was checking the web for the pedal cables, I'm going to change all my cables, there are so many of them, but not for pedals. What cables do you use to connect your pedals?

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    George L mate.. George L! :smug:

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Do you know about cable kits they have? Solderless cables? Anyone have experience with it? how good it is? I found about the same thing from planet wave

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Yeah George L is solderless :) You just have to pick the right size of both the cable and the point and you're good to go.

I'm about to buy george L for my board, just need the last two pedals for it!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I dont trust George L's. I did two pedalboards for buddies with no problem, then when it came to mine, I wired it up and it was DEAD. Two faulty connectors out of the 12 I bought, I was irate. I got a refund but I was charged for the cable I did use too, and they wouldn't send replacement connectors. Just a pain in my butt.

I've since learned to love solder. I use ProCo cables almost everywhere, and custom make mine sometimes.

6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I use George L just because I'm constantly changing things around. Fast and easy.

But....while they mostly work fine, occasionally I get a mysterious drop out. It's always that the connection went bad in one of the plugs.

To prevent this I periodically re-do all the connections by snipping off the "used" portion of the cable.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have used the George-L cables, and actually may be doing a board with them again. But mostly I build whatever cables I need. The upside is that they are bombproof. The downside is that they take longer and are harder to customize. The reverse pretty much holds for my experience with George-L. They are quick and easy but not bombproof. For one, I hate fixing things at a gig....

8. Dimarzio 6" and 12" pedal cables.
    Never had one go bad in last 12 months.
    Harder to arrange pedals due to the fixed lengths but I have managed to keep it fairly clean. I too will probably make my own once I graduate from an oriental rug to an enclosed pedal board, unless the Dimarzio's work out on the new board.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Much like the George L's, there's a Planet Waves solderless cable kit available too.

10. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    It's called "Cable Station". There's a kit with 10 right-angle plugs, 10' of cable, and a cable cutter.

I'll probably get 2 for my "final" rig..... :smug:

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 for George L.

I use them all the time. When the plugs "fail", IMO it is because the threaded portion was either not tight enough, or too tight. And, yes, the threaded part can tighten or loosen as you handle them over time. So either don't handle them so much, or plan to occasionally trim the cables and re-fit the plugs. Aside from that, the George Ls are perfect. And they are known for lower noise than most regular instrument cables.

12. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm redoing my pedal board and purchased all new Bayou Cables. Butch Ammons is a nice guy. and a member here at TB. They are very fairly priced, and you are getting top quality cables. Can't say enough about him and his work.

Here's his website:
    www.bayoucables.com

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I just ordered two PW Cable Stations. I'll review them once I have rewired my board, and I might even post pics. I wish I would have known about Bayou Cables sooner, though. Oh well, time will tell if I screwed up. :eyebrow:

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Definately Butch @ www.BayouCables.com . I use his stuff for everything; instrument, speaker, jumper. There are other cables that I'm sure are as good, but nothing better. Very fair prices as well.

15. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Learning to do soldering is a useful skill for any musician that plays an electric instrument. You never know when something critical might come loose when the repair shop is closed.

I use Canare GS-6 cable and Neutrik (preferred) or Switchcraft jacks.

16. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Well, I received my PW Cable Stations and I rewired my board. It was much easier than I thought and it only took about thirty minutes. The cables seem quite durable and the plugs are bombproof. The only complaint I have is that the plugs are rather large. This might be a good thing for some of you, but if you have a crowded board, you might have space issues. Aside from that, they are great. The cables are sheilded very well and they help reduce noise, too. Time will tell if they hold up. I hope this helps some of you.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Lava cables can make just about any size with whatever plug type you want- all my cables are Lava Cables now. Great components at a great price, too.

18. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL
    Is anyone using George L's cables on rack gear? Or, are they best on pedals? I use a George L's between my bass and my amp, and it's fine. But when I used them on my effects loop, there was a very low output.

19. +1