Pedal chain dies when guitarist turn on amps.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ReignOfRatch, Mar 14, 2017.

1. ReignOfRatch

ReignOfRatch

Dec 25, 2016
    I recently bought Compression, Distortion, and Preamp pedals and was working on dialing in a good sound before practice.
    I had a decent solo sound for a starting point to further refine once the practice started.
    This was our first practice in our newly built, sound proofed recording studio.

When the rest of the band arrived I got an odd issue:
    None of my pedals would work. They all had their lights on but turning any of the knobs had no effect. Selecting between on or off had no effect. It was like they were stuck in bypass.
    As soon as everyone else cut off their amps the pedals seemed to return to their original function.
    All the amps are on a single wall, about 5 feet off the ground, on top of their respective cabinets.

My rig is a DOD milkbox FX84, Boss ODB-3, and Tech 21 Sansamp VT bass going to a Peavey 450 max with a Laney 410

Directly next to my equipment is a Mesa dual rectifier on an orange 212

And directly next to that is an EVH 5150 on an orange 212, driven through an effects processor unit that was unaffected like my pedals.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Are they running on power supplies or batteries?

Do you have a volt meter (multimeter)?

Check the voltage at the wall socket where your pedals are plugged in if they are running off of a power supply.

3. ReignOfRatch

ReignOfRatch

Dec 25, 2016
    They're all on fresh. 9V batteries currently, I don't have the proper supply for all three.

4. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Very similar thing happened to me at practice a couple of months ago. I also had a vtbass and an odb3 in the chain. Came to practice next week with my own builders power box that I plugged my board into and was fine. Might be a coincidence but didn't care to try, I was happy it worked.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    Westchester, NY
    Was your amp working?

Having the pedals on battery really eliminates any shared power issues between your pedals and the amps.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah this. No way the guitar rigs can get to those batteries unless something crazy is happening. And really the only way they can (and I still doubt it) is through the power grid in the house. You still need to check the wall socket voltage first (while the guitar rigs are on).

7. ReignOfRatch

ReignOfRatch

Dec 25, 2016
    Yeah it was. My only solution was to go direct into the amp.

I had also tried pedals to Preamp input, pedals to effect return, and pedal direct to power amp all with no success.

They all worked again after practice ended and the guitar rigs were turned off.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022