1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal chain...HELP!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gkirkin, Jul 31, 2007.

1. gkirkin

gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    London
    Im trying to sort out my pedal board and I'm some advice....

heres what ive got, and the order they are in at the mo....

Bass --- TU-2 --- Aphex Punch Factory --- EHX Big Muff --- MXR Phase 90 --- AMP

Would anyone do that differently, and when i get a Boss DD-3 and a tremolo, where do they go??

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i like that order. when you get a DD3 and tremolo, experiment with them at the beginning and the end. my first instinct would be to put the DD3 at the end and the trem right after the big muff... but that's just me.
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

3. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    tremolo and then delay, though i've never played with a tremolo, so you should try it yourself to hear what you like... this goes for the rest of the pedals too, but many would put them in the order you've already put them, maybe try the comp. at the end, before the amp...

i also like the idea (and sound...) of a phaser after the delay, so I may even get two delays eventually, but I don't really need any of these right now...

but really, search the forums to find other opinions, I doubt many people will answer you, since they've answered this question n-times...

4. One cool thing I tried on guitar was a flanger into a delay TREMOLO, it was like a jet flying by, then having the sound put through a fan (you know, like when you talk into a fan) totally awesome.

As for the pedal order, let your ears decide what should go where.

PS: they were both boss

Edit: screwed up a name :)

5. gkirkin

gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    London
    ok, thanks for the advice...

One other thing, I have just got a big muff, and im not that happy with it. I cant get anything other than full on fuzz, I was expecting more trebley od.

Im trying to get sound like the intro to "McFearless" on the new Kings of Leon album. I know Jared from KOL has a BM and assumed he us it to get the sound. He also has a Micro amp, could this be adding brightness to the BM fuzz??

Cheers.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    On bass??? You won't get that out of a Big Muff and a bass. On guitar, you would, though.

The Micro Amp is a clean boost - nothing to do with the brightness. I just listened to the live version of that song... based on what I'm hearing, he most likely is using two amps (one clean, one with fuzz), and has the tone knob dialed high on the Big Muff.

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
  8. gkirkin

gkirkin

May 23, 2005
    London
    Yeah ive seen that article before.

I have been using the big muff through a vox guitar combo, used along with a clean signal going through my bass amp. But for some reason I decided to give up on that!! I might have to revert to that set up.

So that distortion on Mcfearless is deffinately a big muff??

9. ricknote

ricknote

Aug 3, 2006
    Nashville
    I would change the TU2 Placement for the following reason,
    especially if you use a bass with passive Pickups.

Several really good guitar players here in Nashville
    told me that the TU2 can load down passive instruments slightly.
    I've tried putting it after any pedal and it's much cleaner.

That pedal seems to like a lower impedance input.

Put it second, third or last and watch your bottom end return.
    Just remember to turn off all your pedal before you tune.

My signal:
    Bass -- Boss OC3 -- MXR Bass Q -- MXR Blowtorch -- Big Muff --
    BBE Sonic Stomp -- TU2 -- Amp

Good luck, that's a nice setup!

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I dig that set-up!

The order you have is fine.

I run my DD-3 in front of the effects you've described, but after my TU-2. If you stick it at the end of the chain, you'll end up with odd overlaps from the phaser, which might be cool, if you are looking for that.

I don't have enough experience with trem (yet) that may change. I know it's one I'd rather have in front of a gain stage (overdrive, fuzz, etc.), but not szure where it'll sit in regards to my delay or synth.

11. shawn-o

shawn-o

Jan 29, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Cool,

I just saw this thread now but wired up my pedalboard earlier this week and went with a very similar setup.

tu2- aphex punch factory- LBM- boss chorus.

I dont know where im going to put my phase 90 though. Maybe after the LBM but before the chorus?.

12. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    After the LBM = crazy phasing :D

Before the LBM = ambience of a sort

13. fvbodyboarder

fvbodyboarder

Aug 5, 2007
    does anyone know what kind of muff does he used? (american or russian) and also i thought he used a dd-3 am i wrong?

14. fvbodyboarder

fvbodyboarder

Aug 5, 2007
    also i understand the how the micro amp works, but when does he use it as an application in a KOL song

15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm not sure what Big Muff he's using... possibly the Russian, but that's only a guess, since both can sound quite similar with the Tone knob cranked.

As for the DD-3... according to the Bass Player article I linked to above (dated July 2007)... no. At least, not in his current rig.

Whenever the bass gets louder :p

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Since it just makes your signal louder, you'll have to listen for a segment where his signal gets louder. That's all. Unless maybe he's using it to blast the input of the Muff, in which case you'd be listening for a trashy fuzz that seems more over-the-top than the usual Muff application.

The American and Russian Muffs are not so different that it would really matter, especially once it's gone through an amp, stack, mic, studio processing, etc.

Regarding the DD3, he might use all kinds of pedals... I shake my head when I see these posts "So and so uses an XYZ pedal"... So and so is probably just like us, and picks up whatever pedals sound good, and changes their mind all the time. It's not like just because he used a DD3, or a Line6 or whatever, once that means that that pedal is chained to him somehow.

17. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I like to keep my TU2 at the end of the chain. In my band, we have a couple songs where we end suddenly with a big wall of fuzz. With the TU2 on the end, I can cut all sound out, including any hiss or noise from my big muff.