1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pedal chain layout question ....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BK bassist, Dec 4, 2017.

1. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all,

I know this thread theme has been beat to death over the years but regardless, I could use some advice to those who have experience designing "optimal" pedal configurations.

Here's what I currently use when I play live with my alt rock trio .....

A DG B7K preamp (I also have a DG Ao but I find using both is major overkill)

A Korg Pitchblack Tuner

An MXR Phase 90

An Eventide H9 MAX (or sometimes maybe 2 of them, one for delays and one for ? )

A TC Subnup octave pedal

A volume pedal, Crybaby

I have an MXR compressor pedal but I found it doesnt do very much for me so I don't use it, plus I also have some multi's .... A Boss ME50B, A Zoom B3 and a B3N and a TC Freeze pedal .... I don't use any them in my "live" set up though.

I'd love to know your opinions on the optimal lay out of these 6 or 7 pedals.... I play a wide variety of basses if that matters ... some very hot and active and some very passive and subtle

thanks for the advice.

2. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    And for what it's worth, up to now I have been using a simple "One Spot" 5 port power supply .... I also bought a "brick" power supply to mount under the new Holeyboard dragonfly I bought to mount these pedals .... Is there an advantage to using a Brick instead of a One Spot? .... In regards to "buzz" ?

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Do you mean the Truetone power bricks? Those are great power supplies.

So, as you know by now you can put them any way you want. I myself even need to start trying new orders. JMJ says that's a key for him in using effects, changing up the order of them often. Makes sense because they do respond quite differently sometimes before and after.

Me though? I would go from bass to tuner > vol pedal > TC Sub n Up > one H9 > Phase 90 > second H9 > wah> B7K.

IMO, the A/O and B7K together isn't overkill. But then it depends on how you use the B7K. I use it clean so having the A/O on board makes a lot of sense. And it sounds glorious through the B7K. I would then use the first H9 for chorus or flanger and the second one as either a delay or reverb. I always like having my wah late in the chain so it sweeps everything thrown into it. Works so much better that way IMO.

4. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Gregmon, I was hoping you'd chime in .... thanks, and thanks for the input.

Yes, the power brick is what I mean as opposed to the one spot that has a long cable attachement to power 5 pedals. I've always read that a solid "brick" will lessen any kind of buzz over the basic one spot.

I have already been using one of the H9's for delay, I love the all the algorithm choices in the "max" it's really a beast of a pedal with tons of options. I have been using the B7k set to a dirty grunge tone and I play within that soundscape for the majority of each set but I'll give it a shot going with a clean setting and use the Ao for the dirt. Like you mentioned, it's all about trying different variations.

I too like the idea of the wah, late in the chain, I'll try it tonight

I'm wondering if adding in any of the multi's would add or take away from my current set up. I already own them but don't use them and don't really want to sell them. I have the Boss Me50B and the Zoom b3 and B3n .... Maybe I'll just use one or two of those when I don't feel like schlepping 7 pedals to a gig.

Thoughts on adding a multi to the existing pedals I have now? I guess the answer would be "try it, what do you have to lose" right? lol