Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PEDAL CHAIN ORDER OF PLACEMENT

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Hi can you help / advise me the best way of putting the following pedals in a chain before the front end of my bass amp.

Tech 21 Sabddi Bass Driver

EBS Multicomp Compressor

EBS UniChorus Chorus pedal

Would it be like this: Compressor - Tech 21--Chorus

or : Tech 21 --Compressor--- Chorus

or: Compressor---Chorus---- Tech 21

My belief is it would be the first method, but maybe the second would work and keep my levels constant even when turning on the Tech 21 (which i need now and again as a slight boost )

Any ideas

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you use the di on the bddi? If so, that has to be last in the chain.
    compressor -> chorus -> bddi. I do this on my pedalboard (don't have a bddi, but an mxr m-80) since I sometimes get DI'ed right from there.
    I'm not sure if you've put your choices down as a view on your pedalboard - i.e .the signal goes from right to left.
    As you say, there's a few choices. If you want the signal to always be kept in line, you could put the BDDI prior to the compressor in the signal chain. If you want to be able to boost without the compressor 'interfering', put it after the compressor.

3. Under normal circumstances i wouldnt use the DI on the Tech21. I am trying to keep my signal input to the amp fairly even, normally the Tech21 is off and would be On for a small section of a song to fill out my sound a bit and of course raise my level a tiny bit.

I do not want to blast the input of my amp and alter my tone etc and thats why i am using the compressor, more as a limiter than a compressor.

Should the Tech 21 go in front of the compressor and maybe the Chorus after the compressor and then into the amp input.

4. Sorry i meant to say signal is left to right

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    David is right- it all depends on how you are using the effects.

If you are using the compressor as less of an effect and more for protection of your rig, then you want the compressor last so it can manage signal peaks. Even if this is true, you can have the DI second to last as it would go to the board. They should have their own protection.

Chorus-->SANsamp-->Chorus

If you are using the compressor strictly as an effect, then the SANSAmp should go last so you can capture that effect in your board send (if you are using it as your DI).

Chorus-->compressor-->SANSamp

Always experiement with the order of the effects though, because you can never really guess how they may interact undesirably. An example is from from this weekend- I had two different distortions and discovered one liked it better berfore the wah and the other liked it better after it!

Ted

6. Yes the compreesor / limiter is more for protection of my amp than an actual effect etc.

I run my input signal on my Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 very close to just dipping into the red on my low E string if i pluck it hard, of course live with the band it gets more stick etc.

Also when the guitarist plays a solo i kick on the Tech 21 to fill out my sound and add a bit of growl / drive etc so again im trying to keep my amp protected from too higher input signals etc.

How about this from left to right:

Bass guitar--- Tech 21 ----- CHORUS----COMPRESSOR-- AMP

What do you think

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    neither of the two ways you have posted could be considered 'wrong', but it sounds like the one you just posted again could be considered more appropriate for what you are trying to do.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yep- +1.

All you can do is experiment at this point. If using the DI, I would go:

Bass-->Chorus---> SaBBDI-->Compressor--> Bass Amp
    ---------------------|
    ---------------------|
    -------------------Board

This way, the chorus effect will go to the board when engaged. If not using for effect, then compression doesn't need routed to the board.

Again, you have to experiment. Sometimes pedals can be tempremental, especially when dealing with gain changes from other pedal.

Ted

9. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use my BDDI more as an effect (when I want that "SVT" tone) than a DI:

Bass --> Tuner/Mute --> Chorus --> Compressor --> BDDI --> Avalon U5 --> amp and/or board.

If I don't need "that tone" for a gig (which I usually don't) I leave it out of the chain as I find it colors the tone a bit (even "off") and for clean, there's nothing like the Avalon U5.

10. Im with Ted on this one

+1

11. OK ive got my pedals and tried them this is best sounding and gives my amp protection.

From left to right: Bass--Tech 21 Sabddi- Chorus--compressor

As i dont use the DI this gives me input limiting via the Compressor so as not to clip my input and yet still have the extra grunt from the Tech21 just as and when i need it.

Thanks guys

PS: These EBS pedals are very very nice

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, the multicomp is one of my favorite pedals

13. The compression is very natural and not at all the squashy type, i like the dual band setting with compression at about 3 o clock and gain at 9 o clock this give me good even signals to the amp input.

I also like the EBS chorus much more lush than the Boss CEB3

Thanks for your help guys

I did have the Aphex punch factory compressor but i would say the EBS is less obvious which to me is a good sign that its doing its job without screwing up your sound.

The dual purpose LED'S are a nice touch as well and they do appear to be true bypass at least in tone terms to my ears.

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Cool- good to know you found you groove on this one!

Just wait until you have 10 pedals ;)

Ted

15. Well ok revision 2 of my pedal line up is as follows and why:

From Left to right:

Bass guitar-- EBS Compressor-- Sabddi---- EBS Chorus--Amp

Now this sounds more natural and when the Tech 21 is kicked in it sounds more like it should, ok the Input does raise slightly to the amp as its after the compressor but the sound is more correct.

So i will try it like that and see how i go, dont forget that i only use the Sabddi as a boost / fatten up effect for certain songs ( also amp backup with the DI ) but i wouldnt use the DI from it live , if i wanted a DI i would use the amp built in one.

Rock On

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sounds to me like you are doing exactly what you need to do- experiemnting with the chain. Just remeber- with the compressor first in line, it won't protect your amp from anything that may happen involving the SADDDI or the chorus.

Ted

17. Yes you are right but i guess the compressor is there more to correct my playing dynamics while playing live gigs, i.e a bit too aggressive when there is a very loud and heavy song.

The actual boost from the Tech 21 is more growl and dirt than a level boost, although the increase is still there although its a minor change in level.

Thanks for your help

18. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Cool bro- and glad I was able to provide some useful input.

Ted

19. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have often wondered about what the proper way is to run effects in a chain.... I think that the question needs to be poised differently. Sometimes certain effects will go in a certain order. I know many guitarists who have a very set way of how to plug up effects. So, I will ask the question since I honestly do not know the answer, but I think I know a little:

In the chain of effects, there are several types of effects--Preamp/DI's, Envelope Filters, Distortion/Fuzz, Octavers, Synths, Chorus/Flange/Modulation, Delay/Reverb, Compressor/Limiters, Exciters, etc....

In my effects chain, I have it this way:
    E-Pro STMP-01-->EHX Bass Micro Synth-->MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q-->Boss Bass Flanger-->Aphex Bass Exciter.

I don't know if I'm doing it right. There are several effects I would like to add/change up a bit. I have a Black Finger I'm not using and once I sell that I'll be in the market probably for a EBS Multi-Comp or Demeter Compulator. That will probably go before the Synth after the preamp. I also will probably get an Analogman Clone Chorus, and either pull or keep the Boss, so if I keep it, which one first? I'd like to get a Fulltone Bass Driver, but I might opt for the new Chunk Systems Brown Dog because I intend to get the new 00 Agent Funk Mark II, and there is some kind of "CV" hookup. I'd also like an EBS Octabass.

Now here's another question....when should you use the FX loop on your amp? Why do some units sound best up front? What should be used in the loop?

20. Normally time based effects like reverbs, delays, chorus, flangers etc sound great in the f/x loop as well as front of amp.

The others like compressors, eq, overdrives ,wah etc should be front of amp as they always sound better placed here.

My findings is always stick the compressor first in the chain, or if you want it as a limiter stick it last in the chain before the amp. If you put the compressor after overdrives it seems to ruin the effect of the overdrive.