pedal chain order

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by olps, Apr 20, 2003.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Hey, I've only got a few pedals, but I'm experimenting with the order I have them in. Anyone have any suggestions? My pedals are: Boss Bass EQ (set up for slapping/popping style), Ibanez Overdrive/Distortion (set up for distortion), Digitech Bass Synth Wah Envelope Filter, and the Electro Harmonix Bassballs (envelope filter). *I also have a standard tuner, but I rarely include it into my effects chain.* Thanks for the suggestions!
  2. i would go
    tuner->EQ->distortion->bassballs->digitech X synth
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The EQ and tuner should definitely go in front, since the tuner would be best with the clean tone of the bass, and the EQ because you wat the entire sound chain to be EQed. The rest is depending on what sound you want, and it is up to trial and error.

If you put the distortion before the envelope, you will get a filtered distortion. But if you put the envelope first, you will get a distorted filter, you understand? They will sound different. Try it yourself, and hear the difference.

With my Wah and my distortion, if I put the distortion first, then the distorted sound will be "wah"ed, so I will hear a distortion being shifted. But if the distortion is after the wah, then the distortion will be even, and the wah will be distorted.

I hope you understand, but the best way to figure it out is to do it yourself, trial and error. Everyone is different, and everyone wants a different sound.

My effects chain right now is:

It is that way because I usually want the entire sound to be evenly and consistantly distorted. If the distortion was first, then it would be shifted and changed, and I don't want that.

Like I said, everyone is different, and it takes trial and error to really find what pleases your ears.

[EDIT] I also have a delay in my chain, but it moves around depending on what I want it to sound like. See above reasoning for explanations.
  4. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I also have done alot of experimenting, and here is my final chain.

boss LS-2 line switcher with "b" line out to TU12 tuner (silent tune)
    then MT-2 distortion, CE-2 chorus, BF-2 flanger,
    AW-3 dynamic wah, PH-3 phase shifter, then into
    morley steve vai little alligator volume pedal, with a
    min and max setting. This set up gave me the best results, and with the volume pedal, i can step on my guitar players head, if he gets to loud.
    you can also call boss for advice at 323-890-3700.