1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedal / Combo similar to EHX Bass Microsynth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    After a long time away from pedals I'm going to be putting together a Nano, consisting of a Relay G50, B3K, JM TGC-2 remote looper (the board will actually be sitting on top of my head - I don't like running signal to the front of the stage and back, so I'll use the remote looper to activate the pedals) and one more thing...

I used to use a Whammy and a Moogerfooger filter to create nasty synth like sounds, and the EHX Bass Microsynth contains both of those things (octave up & down + a filter) in one box. I haven't gotten to play one, but based on clips it seems like it'd do what I want.

The problem is that, since I'm using a Nano, I want to power the board with a 1Spot, and the EHX supposedly requires an isolated power supply. I could get something like a GigRig Virtual Battery to isolate it, but that's another $50ish. I won't be able to switch to something with isolated power outputs because the nano's too small for that, and I need to daisy chain in order to get the G50 enough juice.

Is there another pedal that does what the BMS does while having easier power requirements? Or a pair of smaller pedals that gets there?

2. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I used to have a micro synth. I used a one spot to power it.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You'd need a fuzz, filter, and octave pedals to replace the BMS. The newer version is 9VDC anyway.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I have the distortion taken care of with the B3K, just want a filter and octave (with octave up, specifically.)

The new BMS is 9V but still needs isolated power. It will work with a 1spot by itself but supposedly won't work daisy chained with other things.