Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pedal damaging an amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nerf, Oct 10, 2004.

1. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    Hey. Didn't know whether to post this in the amps section or here, but here goes.... I got a Digitech BP-200 multi pedal recently, put it in front of my Yorkville combo, mostly for rythum training, never have had the amp turned up over "5",and a few days later I turned the amp on w/o the pedal and it had a muffled, fluttering, noise to it with a slight buzzing sound. Definatly noticeable that something isn't right. Turned it off and back on and it was gone. Now about 10% of the time when I turn the amp on it's there again, most of the time turning it off and waiting a few moments will get it back right. Don't use the pedal with the Yorkville anymore.

So I began running the pedal thru my old Crate 25 watt combo and now it does the same thing. :confused: It's not the cables, thought of that and bought new ones but it still happens.
    The only thing I can think of is I ran it thru the passive input on the amps (my bass is passive). Should you run a powered pedal thru the active input?
    Anybody else ever have this problem?
    Any help :help: would be greatly appreciated.

2. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    Well....is this a stupid question, or has nobody had this happen before?

I'd like to keep using the BP-200 (it's great as a stand alone headphone amp, I don't have to drag the Yorkville out into the living room after the kids are asleep anymore), but both amps started acting up after they were hooked to it. :confused:

I could really use the rhythm training, w/o having to use headphones.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Maybe try turning the output of the effect down? Hard to tell what's going on. Are you sure it's the pedal and not a cable or jack?

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It looks like Mr Yorkie has a problem.
    Just, what makes you think it happened because of ther BP200 ?

5. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    To be honest, I'm not sure where the effect level was before, but since it happened, I've made sure to keep it low. I thought it might be a cable problem at first, but bought some new ones, and it didn't help. Doesn't sound like any jack problem I've heard, what gets me is the same problem on TWO different amps within a week.
    Because it happened on two different amps AFTER being hooked to it. Same exact muffled fluttering noise. Weird. Went about three weeks (almost forgot about it), and the other day it was there again on the Yorkville w/o the pedal. Shut it down, powered it back up and it was OK. Let me note that I don't crank the amp, nothing over half, just a couple times to 7 or 8 to see what it would do.

I know Yorkville has a great warranty, so I know I can get it fixed (just the hassle), but I know with my luck it wont malfunction for a month while the repairman has it......"hey, couldn't find anything wrong, buddy". Just never heard of this before, and it seems not many others have either.

Would like to use the pedal WITH thw amp again, but I'm very reluctant to put it infront of one again.

BTW, the headphones are OK with it, no problems there.

6. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Have you tried multiple cables? Make sure to switch each and every cable in the signal chain out one at a time.

Is this all with one bass? If so then you may have a bad jack, or pre-amp if your bass is active.

7. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    It happens with both my basses,(both passive) I originally thought it was the pickup or jack on the old Ibanez, but it happened on the new Jazz I got last month also.

All new cables since the problem started. I don't have much of a signal chain, just the bass to the Yorkville. I'll still once in a while put the pedal in front of the Crate because I really don't care about that one.

Maybe a dumb question, but should you plug into the active jack when running the BP 200?

8. Lue

Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    Which yorkville amp do you have? And does this problem happen without plugging anything in?

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It shouldn't really matter. The passive jack will sometimes have a higher input impedance than the active jack which could translate to additional noise. Almost always the passive jack will have more gain than the active jack making the overall sound louder.

It is quite possible that you are simply turning your amp up too loud and damaging the speakers in them. The numbers on the volume dial are completely meaningless. The volume dial controls the amount of gain in the amplifier, but if you are starting with a hot signal then it is quite possible that you are hitting the amp's limit with the knob turned to 4 or 5.

I really doubt that the BP 200 did something to your amp. Although it is possible that the BP 200 is providing you with a hot signal source to your amp and then you are turning your amp up too loud.

10. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    First off, thanks to everyone for your help. I guess it's something I did.
    I still wonder why turning it off and then on again makes the "fluttering buzz" noise go away. :confused:
    I was going to take it in to get looked at (I will if it gets any worse), but since it happens only about once a week to one every three weeks, and turning it off for a little usually corects it, I'll just plod along as usual.
    Amp is dead quiet when turned on and not playing, it happens when the notes are being played if that's what you mean. It happens just running either bass directly to the amp w/o the pedal. But as stated, not very often, just enough to bug me and make me wonder.
    Its an XM100, bought new this spring. Great amp, nice tone, cool mid scoop knob that adds alot to the tone, plenty loud for what I need. Way better than anything else in it's price range. This problem doesn't lessen my opinion of it at all. Like I said, looks like it's my fault anyways, since the Crate does it too.