Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Jul 7, 2005.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Spent some time at the local CG and Sam Ash trying out some fx pedals. I have been looking for a compact unit to supply me with the usual: nice chorus, octave divider, envelope filter, etc..
    one thing i insist on is true bypass. I cannot stand the way most of these things make your $3000 bass sound like a $300 one.
    So, i tried the BossME-50 B - it's ok, but you can't really mix in all the fx with the dry signal. The flangers added all kinds of lo end boom etc.. it was not what i needed.
    I tried the Line Filter Modeler and maybe I am stupid, but it's the second time i sit with one and i can't find ONE usable sound. I found it to be a total waste of time.
    I even just sat with my V bass as a multi FX unti and still can't seem to find hi fidelity effects that i can use and tweak, mind you, with the V bass pickup installed on a bass, the unit is wonderful, but it is supposed to be a stand alone multi-fx as well.
    Seems the only thing i have had that works well is a set of stomp boxes- the EBS bunch i had worked well, with the octaver, Bass IQ and Chorus-
    but alas, i could not save several settings into any kind of memory- so the Bass IQ for example, always had teh same sound dialed in...
    am i missing something? is there anything that i should check out? anyone else unimpressed with the current state of bass effects?
  2. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I used to mess around with multi-effects and was also largely disappointed. The best way is to go with singles, IMO, and remember: there is nothing wrong with having more than one of something. Good luck with your search.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Why don't you stick with old effects if current ones annoy you ?
    The FM4 is a guitar effect BTW. It was never meant to be used on bass.
  4. ++++1111111
    Try narrowing down the effects you'd like. Env. Filter, Octave, Chorus, for example. Get good quality single pedals and put them on a small floorboard, I like the Pedal Train jr.
    Good Luck. Also, there a threads on pedals and pedal boards, check ou the "show your pedalboard" thread.
  5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IMHO, the biggest advantage of single effects over multis is that you don't lose all your effects when something breaks.
  6. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    have you considered your not an effects person. I went crazy buying effects and hated them all. except the bassballs, loved that one. other then that, they are all disapointing.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    most of the time, i am not an fx person- but sometimes i like to add some flavor- the thing is, i want to enhance, not degrade the tone- i am very seriously considering the EBS pedals again- i have a gigging situation where i could use some FX, really just those 3 : octave, chorus and envelope- the EBS stuff sounded the best to me. I guess i better get ready to write a big check because that stuff is not cheap.
  8. I'm using a Boss TU-2 tuner to power everything and it doubles as a mute, EBS OctaBass, Digitech Bass Synth Wah, and soon I'll have a Visual Sound H2O (it's a chorus a verb pedal all in one), a Sans Amp BDDI and a Sadowsky DI/preamp pedal.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've heard great things about EBS pedals, but noticed they're usually not true-bypass.

As for a chorus, I use a Fulltone ChoralFlange. It's really expensive, but sounds amazing, is more flexible than the EBS, and is true-bypass. Have you checked this one out? You may like it more than the EBS...

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I too have been sorely disappointed with effects pedals. I feel your pain Adrian. Boy howdy. I noted the Fulltone thing. Is there any good reverb pedals out there? I've tried the usual suspects and that includes the EBS. I was disappointed there too.
  11. The cool thing about having a pedal board that has "your" effects and "your" sounds is that no matter where you play, using your rig, someone elses rig, or going direct with no amp, you'll have "your" sounds with you. I do alot of gigs where I show up and plug right into the board and if I didn't have my little pedal board I'd be hating life.
  12. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    All EBS pedals are true bypass.

Have you thought about a rack mount unit like Lexicon or Eventide, they are extremely high quality and then you would have plenty of presets.

What you are asking is one of the main niggles of effects, yes there are plenty of hi end effects out there that will make a $3000 bass sound like $3000 bass with some effects, but they are all single stompers, and for your purposes that is impractical. So all I can recommend is a high end expensive rack unit, (Although you may find a BOSS VF-1 is excellent and really cheap), which you can run in your amps effects loop so not effecting your signal.

If you do how ever find a multi effect unit that you are happy with but doesn't have a decent bypass they build true bypass loop boxes so you can just put the whole effect unit in one of these loops and bypass it when you please, also you could have a blend knob fitted so you blend between clean and effected signals.

Hope this helps
  13. rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I have three EBS pedals and love each of them. Great sound, easy to manage and very quiet operation. The switch is especially quiet and never needs to be discharged like other pedals I own that may pop or click the first few times I switch them.

EBS claims that their pedals are better than "true bypass" pedals because they use an active FET design, whatever that means. I have noticed no change in tone using these pedals.

If you are checking out pedals at a music store, take in your own bass and use an amp as close in nature to yours as possible. You may be let down by many variables in a music store, not just the pedals.
  14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Running your $3,000.00 bass into a cheap multi-effect (even the BOSS real-estate development is cheap compared to your bass) is no different than running your bass into a cheap Amp.

I've played with multi-effects on both of my basses and I was never satisified. My Basses aren't nearly as good as yours.

I run all single pedals for that reason. It's also so much easier to dial in YOUR sound. If I need to change one parameter, I lean over and do it. I don't have to worry about mucking up a preset, or trying to create a preset for one song... or one PART of one song.

Try out all sorts of boutique and not-so boutique pedals. I've not tried EBS personally, but I've heard good things about that brand. Check out Electro Harmonix. I've had good luck with them to the point where most of my Pedal Board is EHX stuff, now.

The good rack stuff is also a possibility. I've sort of drooled over the G-force and G-major. Both are ditigal, but very high end. Most of the systems of that nature do allow for a MIDI controller to control parameters "on the fly", or to have multiple pre-sets at your feet. As was said, these work best out of an effects loop, so you'll still be direct Bass-> Amp. I don't know how ture of a Bypass these are. I used an Alesis model for awhile (Quadraverb) and I was never satisfied with it. It was FAR from true bypass, and really colored my tone. But then again that's a $350 processor vs. a $1,500.00 modeler.
  15. this brings up an interesting point... maybe more effects should start going the way of the programmable sabddi?
  16. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rut roh.... I'm feeling pedal GAS... Just when I thought I was done with my pedal shopping list!
  17. Interesting point, I think that would be really useful especially for distortions :)
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've had similar results, so now it a bunch of little boxes for me.
  19. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Little boxes and pedal boards is the way to go.