Pedal effect for mids control?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by VifferMike, Dec 20, 2005.

1. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm about to acquire a mid-90s Zon Sonus 4 with the Bart 2-band EQ (bass and treble). As most of you know, that bass has a complex inherent sound due to its graphite-composite neck, and I figure that I may need some mids-shaping ability to fine-tune its timbre.

Here's my potential problem: none of my tone-shaping gear handles mids with much effectiveness. This includes a pre-Fender SWR Bass 350 (one sweepable-mid control of limited and dubious use) and a SansAmp BDDI (fantastic bass and treble control, but no independent mids control).

Can I get some recommendations from all of you fine folk on a good non-rack (my 4u is full, and I don't really want to lug around a 5u) unit that can contour mids well? Parametric, semi-para, whatever; I'm open to suggestions. The Yamaha NE-1 and TC Electronics Parametric EQ come to mind, but I'd like to know if anything else better exists ...

... or should I consider a different head with a better tone section (the Eden WT or Genz-Benz GBE series have caught my eye recently)?
  2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Pro-Sonus has a decent small Parametric EQ. It's not a pedal, but you could stick it on a pedal board.

uhm BOSS's Uber EQ pedal might work.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
  4. EBS MicroBass II has (among many other great features) a semi parametric mid control on channel B.

It also has a special "enhance" filter on channel A that does the following; clockwise of 12 o'clock it boosts treble and cuts mids, counter clockwise of 12 o'clock it cuts treble while boosting mids.

The two channels can be used independently or combined to give greater flexibility.